What is the difference between the Ampeg Svp-Pro and the Svp-Bsp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skit_skittson, Jun 3, 2002.

1. I'm looking at the Ampeg Svp-Pro and the Svp-Bsp. Both are the same price so I don't know which one to choose. Any suggestions? I think they both have the same features basically. Which one is better? Also, do they come with footswitches? I'll be ordering the one I choose from Musicians Friend. Any information would be helpful.
  2. The Pro has more tubes than the BSP, and the BSP has a distortion channel. Go to Ampeg.com and when you get to the info page, click on look at front and rear panels, and it will give you more info.
  3. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    yeah, everything RedBassMan said.

Pro has five tubes, and if you bypass the graphic EQ you bypass any solid state circuitry - an all tube preamp.

BSP is a hybrid -- one tube/solid state preamp and has two channels, or three if you count combining them.
    BSP has more balanced outputs which might be helpful -- the Pro one balanced output is before the master volume
    so I 'm gonna have to give up one of those for use into my old Crest power amp.

anyone A/B'd them over tone possibilities ? - both seem like they'd be very versatile.
  4. I want a really warm sound but also have a distortion channel. I plan on running whichever one I get into a QSC RMX 1450. Would this work fine?
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I could be wrong here but isn't the BSP what billy sheehan uses?
  6. yeah, billy sheehan helped design the bsp. i can't decide which one to get. does anyone know if either come with the 2 button footswitch?
  7. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    ok.. the BSP was designed by Billy, but he used to own TWO SVP-s... one clean and one distorted.

The BSP is an attempt to put two seperate preamps, a clean and a distortion, together with a blend knob. In the consolidation, a lot has to get left behind, however.

The SVP-Pro is very capable of distortion, from warmth to full on grind. The SVP's clean is better than the BSP's if you ask me.. so is it's distortion.

The only reason I can think of the BSP being better, is that it can switch from clean to distorted rather quickly, while with the SVP.. you'd have to turn some knobs.. so you couldn't do it mid-song.

Neither of them come witha footswitch, but carvin sells one for $15... i have one for my SVP and its AWESOME.. the Mute function is GREAT as well as the switchable eq.
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The SVP-Pro can give some decent distortion with the drive and gain turned up. Not the kind of distortion I'd ever play with. When I got the Pro, I was looking for clean uneffected signal with the ability to push the tubes when I need. I also use a QSC-RMX 2450. The SVP-Pro gives the most variablility to the tone while being the cleanest of any pre I tried. I was looking at a Demeter that was super clear, but had zero tonal variability.

I don't think you can go wrong with the SVP-Pro.

If you want to get Billy Sheehan sound, it's going to take a heck of a lot more than just the BSP!!!
  9. I've owned both and prefer the pro.

I bought the bsp and found I didn't have much use for the distortion channel - I have digital power amp and I couldn't get much besides that "sand in a blender" sound out of the distortion channel. I sold the bsp and bought a pro, retubed it, bought a footswitch for it and have been happy ever since :D
  10. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Zulu, Your using the same set up I'm looking on getting. What cainet do you use? Right now I'm using a Peavey 412.

Rangers Lead The Way!!
  11. Dude, dont order from them. Order from BassNW, best price you'll find online. Musicians Friend (ie Guitar Center) is bogus - you'll be lucky if they ship you the correct item! Or maybe you'll get lucky and ship you an SVT4-Pro by mistake, heh.

Anyhow I have to echo getting the Pro over the BSP.

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001

BagEnd D10B-D (210 400-800w 4 ohm) and S15B-D (115 200-400w 8ohm)

It's a nice system. I'm eventually looking to add an S15X-D which is a smaller 115 coax cube to run parallel with the big 115. I can use that for the drummer and me to monitor. We never get a good PA mix on his monitors and we could basically play all of our music together.
  13. IMO the BSP's distortion sounds nothing like the Pro's. If I was looking for distortion I wouldn't get the Pro. The BSP, however, can produce mild distortion to serious guitar-like crunch. Its clean sounds are inferior to the Pro, though (IMO). Bottom line: If you want a distorted sound, go with the BSP, if you want a more traditional sound, get the Pro, or get both.
  14. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I have the SVP-BSP. I use it occasionally with my fretless. The clean channel is pretty nice sounding, although the compressor in it is useless, IMO. As far as the overdrive channel goes, well, do you like the sound of fingernails scratched down a chalkboard? If so, you'll like it. The EQ is very strange in the OD channel, too. If you're looking for good sounding distortion, get a distortion box to use with it. In short the overdrive channel sounds lie s***!
    I combine the channels, setting the overdrive so it doesn't actually overdrive. It sounds pretty sweet that way.
    I'll put it this way: if Sheehan actually uses this pre, then he must be hard up for endorsements! Both of which I seriously doubt!
  15. I think the best way to run the BSP is with both channels combined. As far as it sounding like crap...you just need to dial in the right combination. The mid and frequency controls on the overdrive channel are the heart of the preamp. Tweaking them (along with the gain) drastically alters the preamps tone. I've never had a hard time getting a good sound out of it. The BSP is just Ampeg's take on the Pearce BC1, btw.
  16. I guess I'm going to go with the Svp-Pro, I just wanted the Bsp because of the switchable channels, so I didn't have to turn knobs to have a quick distortion. I guess I will just keep using my Boss Bass Distortion. What is the site for BassNW or whatever that place is? I'm trying to find a fairly new one under 450.
  17. Nightfall

Jun 3, 2002
    east coast
    I have to agree with Greg's comments about Musician's Friend. My experiences with them have been pretty terrible.

They always screwed up the order, or sent it UPS Ground when I ordered (and paid for) Fedex air....and then gave me a hassle on the phone when I tried to get them to fix their mistakes or credit me for shipping.

Never again!