1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the difference between these buffers?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    B_U_M_P

2. They just appear to be buffer pedals made by different companies.

A buffer is a very simple device that doesn't require knobs, etc., so they are all somewhat similar in appearance.

The quality of the electronic components may vary, as well as the profit margin each company is shooting for.

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    So, bottom line; Buy the cheapest?

4. Not necessarily the cheapest.

Compare the specs of them, go to the manufacturers' websites; Prymaxe doesn't offer enough info, but probably lifted whatever info from the manufacturers — so you may have to email them individually.

THD?
    Freq range? Full range, yeah, but what?
    Current draw? (Mojo and Ohmless are 2mA, the TC E 40mA)
    Voltage? All are 9v, I think.
    Input impedance?
    Output impedance?
    Any internal trimmers to adjust?

The Fox and The MD are op-amp based probably the others as well;
    the Ohmless has Neutrik jacks and boasts high quality wiring;
    the TC E will switch to bypass mode if there's a power outage to it, a worthy feature IMO, boasts a high SNR...

They're all pretty close in price, so get the one that best suits your needs.

I'd get the Solid Gold FX,
    2nd choice Ohmless.

Maybe on your board you'd prefer the jack placement of the MD.

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks!
    What's 'high SNR' ?
    I like the looks of the SG.

6. Signal to Noise Ratio

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Aahhh...Thanks!

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If you already have at least one buffered-bypass pedal (fairly close to the start of your chain if you have a big board) then you don't need one. Cheapest option in that case would be to not buy one at all!

What's the rest of your chain?

gregmon79 likes this.
  10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah like if you have a Boss TU3 or something like that, you should have a quality buffer already. Check and see if any pedals you're using already have a buffer in them. Many builders get the importance of a good buffer and not all built them true bypass.

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't think I have any buffered pedals but am seriously contemplating a Rothwell love squeeze which could serve as a buffer if I got one.
    Yes, it would be handy to get something that can do more than one thing.

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    A compressor at the front end is a good solution. It's just I've seen a lot of boards with people running standalone buffers into either a Boss tuner or some other buffered bypass pedal, or an always-on pedal like a compressor. IMHO they are a waste of time unless you have a chain of only true bypass pedals!

FunWithBass and wmmj like this.