1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the difference in a 55-01 and a 5502

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by levifly, Jun 12, 2007.

1. levifly

levifly

Nov 29, 2004
    raleigh, nc
    I am looking for a 5 string to go with my skyline hollow body and am not sure what the difference is between the two. Is it just cosmetic or are the electronics different? Inquiring minds want to know. Mike

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Different electronics and pickup configuration.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  4. levifly

levifly

Nov 29, 2004
    raleigh, nc
    OK, I think I understand. Now, is the difference between Standard and Deluxe 55-02 only cosmetic? Just trying to figure this stuff out. Also, is the sound much different between the 55-01 and 55-02. I'm just trying to determine how much I really need to spend to get a good sounding 5'er. I keep checking e-bay for used 5 string Laklands, as well as the classified ads here. They seem to sell rather quickly. Mike

5. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Why don't you look at the Lakland website?

6. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    levifly;

It's the same body w/different electronics.

The **-01 has Bart MK1 pickups and "usually" preamp (both are Korean).

The **-02 has US Bartolini or Lakland pickups and preamp.

On the -02s, the pickups and preamp are installed at the Lakland plant in Chicago. The -01 has it's electronics installed during assembly in Korea and it's shipped directly to the retailer.

During electronics installation, the -02s get a once-over at the Lakland plant, which the -01's don't.

The -02s are normally several hundred dollars more, this is for the US electronics, extra shipping and time spent in the US plant.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021