Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is the difference in fretboard woods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basseddie, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :eek:
    I am wanting to order a new neck from warmoth in a few weeks for my mim 5 string jazz, but i am confused about the difference in fretboard woods.
    Im looking at a maple neck with a maple fretboard or possibly a rosewood or pau ferro.
    Can anyone tell me the differences in the fretboard wood types.
    thanx
    eddie

2. htag

htag Guest

You can investigate this to your heart's content by using the search feature at the top of the page. The common consensus is that Maple boards are bright, and good for slapped tones. The rosewood and pau ferro are mellower, with a little more low mids thing happening. They are also a little easier to play,IMHO. There's cats who sound great using all types of fingerboard wood, so they're all good. It boils down to what fingerboard, and body wood, add up to the sound you hear in your head.
    I've got maple boards on the majority of my fretted basses, but always use ebony boards for fretless.
    You can always consult with CS at Warmoth. They know their woods inside and out.
    www.warmoth.com.
    Peace,
    Htag

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep, do a search. All your questions and more will be answered.

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.