What is the difference in these basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Mar 25, 2005.

1. One is a cort model elrick signature series the other is an actual elrick. I ordered the cort for I saw no difference in specs other than the switches at the bottom. The cort has a push pull active/passive.

Attached Files:

2. The Corts are made in Korea(I think)as opposed to the US.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One is mass produced using Korean Barts (MK-1s, I believe), while the US is handmade by ONE guy, using the best materials and electronics available.

There's a difference. A big one.
  4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    While the Cort may be a decent bass, do not mistake it for an actual Elrick. BIG difference .......
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yup +1
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Cort is a fine import bass. It has the Bart MK-1 pickups and preamp, which I happen to really like.

But it is not in the same league as a USA Elrick.
  7. Yep exactly the same thing with the Cort Curbow models. They look like a Curbow, but they are nothing alike. And quite frankly i think my Cort Curbow sucks.
  8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Reading back on this, I guess we didn't actually answer your question, "what's the difference....."

The Corts are mass produced ... The USA Elricks, as stated above by Brenden, are all hand made. Cort adopted the Elrick design/shape and produced a reasonable facsimile of the "real thing". But it is mass produced in a factory overseas.

I've had the pleasure of playing three USA Elricks ... each and every one was meticulously crafted and, to my eyes & ears, without flaw. While the basic body design is not to my personal liking, it's impossible to find fault with the craftsmanship or sound.

Really, just look at the pricing .... there's a reason for the difference in cost :) Again, this is not to discredit the Cort, it's a decent bass ......
  9. I forgot to answer you on this so i thought about it and searched and will now answer your question. The Cort Curbow is a nice playing good sounding instrument for the money, however the body is just too small for me to play. I am about 6ft 210 lbs so a little heavy and it just looks dumb on me because the bottom part of the body is so small. The pictures seem to be a deception, the body is very small, but if you like it go for it. And im willing to sell you mine haha.
  10. I really have to jump in here and defend the Cort Curbow! IMO, it is a fabulous guitar for those of us with active but smaller hands. I have a Curbow 4-string fretless and it is my favorite guitar of the four that I own-nice sexy, slick and fast little guitar. Really. 'nuff said. :bassist: BTW, I am 5'3' and weigh 118 lbs.
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Cort basses look intriguing, I was actually checking their website a little bit ago looking for contenders for my next bass. I want a fretless 5 and it seems their fretless models only come in 4....

Sigh...looks like it'll probably be a Spectorcore V for me :)