1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    What difference does the type of pickup make in sound? I own a 5-string ESP tuned down 1 step and i want a phat rumbly sound. Not bright though. get it?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Different pickups are designed for different sounds :D . I realize that sounds kind of sarcastic, but I don't mean it to be. If you want a fat sound, something like the Seymour Duncan "Hot" is good if you have J or P type pickups. Seymour Duncan's web site has a tone chart that has been pretty helpful to me in characterizing the sound of his pickups. EMG active pickups tend to be super-clean, that is, not as fat and "rumbly" as maybe a passive pickup like the SD Hot. I don't know much about soapbar pickups, but Seymour Duncan and Bartolini, among others, make them, and they will give you some idea of their intended sound on their respective web pages. The Bartolini 8S is also reported to be somewhat "dark" sounding, although I haven't tried it.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Seymour Duncan SPB-2 if you have a P-type configuration.
    It is dark and phat.

4. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I have a Bartolini 8S in my P Bass, and it is indeed a dark, warm sounding pickup with plenty of output. Very nice. With flatwounds, it really thumps.

5. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    hey thanks guys. My current bass is an ESP-5 string with EMG-HZ soapbars. They do not produce the phat dark sound that i want. thanks for your help. if you have more, keep it comin.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, Bartolini certainly makes soapbars. Again, check their website at http://www.bartolini.net for details. DiMarzio makes a bass soapbar called the Alchemy 101 that is supposed to have a "warm" sound, and they rate it like this: Treble - 5, Mid - 6, Bass - 7. That sounds pretty fat to me, although I haven't tried it.