1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the differences between pickuptypes?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by XtreO, Mar 13, 2008.

1. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I know there's active and passive pickups and the main difference between it. But there's singlecoil J/P-pickups or something, as well as humbuckers. Could someone please explain the main differences between different pickup-types?

2. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Bump of Enlightenment

3. Different voicings. The way pickups are wound, size of wire they're wrapped with, how many times they're wound, number of coils, position of coils, and placement of pickups all have a role in the voicing of that pickup. There are so many types of pups out there and brands that you can pretty much get any voice you coud think of in a pickup. As far as active and passive, most of that has to do with output. Active pickups have more output than passive. You could use passive pickups with an active preamp and get the same output level as just active pickups.

There's a lot more to be learned than what I can tell you. The best way to learn about pickups is to search TB and the internet and maybe email some people who make their own pups.

Hope this helps.

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Generally, from what i've learnt -

The way pickups are wound - havent really seen much of this affecting sound. The less uniform the wrapping, though, the more "even" the sound (less resonance) and less likely for microphonic feedback. (ignore if pup is potted in wax/epoxy).

size of wire they're wrapped with - the thinner the wire, the less windings needed to reach a certain resistance. This can change the "hotness" of the pickup.

how many times they're wound - the more times a pickup is wound, the hotter it is, generally.

number of coils - 2 coils generally allow for humcancelling. In the case of having MANY coils, a la Wal, it's supposed to allow quicker response.

position of coils and placement of pickups The closer to the bridge, the brighter the sound. The closer to the neck, the warmer the sound. Coils close to each other sound brighter than coils further apart, if they both cover the same string.

One last one, which he left out, Aperture size of coils - the larger the aperture, the bassier the sound.

Also, type of magnet plays a part.

All these are generalisations i go by, it seems to work for me.

Jazzes are single-coil, narrow aperture pickups.
    Ps are split coil, wide aperture pickups.
    MMs are dual coil, wide aperture pickups.