what is the diffrence in sound from hex core strings and round core strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SomeGuy118, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Like with the DR strings, the Lo-Rider's are hex core and the Hi-Beam's are round core. I have tried the Hi-Beam's and I liked them a lot. I was wondering about what the Lo-Rider's would sound like? (I would go out and just try them but I'm on a tight budget)
  2. Hi

If you search the archive you'll find numerous threads comparing them.

Basically the Lo-Rider hex core make them less flexible which translate by a higher tension. This make them (apparently as I've yet to tried them) wonderful to sound harmonic. They are said to have more punch and better clarity than the Hi-Beam and to be really killer on your finger.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

To add to what JFT said : Like most bass string topics, there's different schools of thought on the core's relationship to sound.

1. Some maintain that hex cores are brighter and more stable because the corners of the hex shape provide edges for the wraps to lock onto the core.

2. Others say the corners of the hex shape result in voids or "air pockets." As a result, there's more wrap metal on round cores, resulting in a brighter string with more tone.

The round advocates maintain these voids collect body oils, dead skin cells, and other crud, causing hex cores to go dead faster.

The hex advocates maintain that because there are no corners to lock the wraps onto round cores, the wraps are prone to slippage and allow crud to collect in the wraps as they loosen.

There must be some truth to slippage because DR Hi Beams have a flattened spot near the headstock end of the string where the wraps can lock on to the core.

I like both types of DR's as well DR "Marcus" strings.
    I find Hi Beams are Super Bright and have lots of "sparkle" (hence the name "HI Beams." Superb rock strings.

Lo Riders (assuming we're talking about the stainless steel Lo Riders) are less bright but sound "fuller" to me especially in the lower end and they last longer because that super bright edge of Hi Beams is the first thing that disappears, IME. Lo Riders are great slap strings.

Of course, the mixture of metals used in a certain type of string affect the final sound, too.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Being higher tension than the Hi Beams, yeah, Lo Riders will definitely find out how tough your callouses are.