Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the doors song "5 to 1" about?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 6, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I don't get it. Can someone explain? I don't understand the lyrics. What is he talking about? A party? A fight? What's the theme?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Drugs. :D

I dunno...

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The odds, at any given time, of Jim Morrison finishing a night with his pants on.

4. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    :eyebrow:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He's saying the song is generally about fighting the odds.

And odds are, Jim Morrison had trouble making it through the evening with his pants on for one reason or another.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IIRC-

It's about Race(relations).

7. I think its generally about the turbulent social upheaval of the late 60s/early 70s. The riots and stuff.

Hence the whole 'they've got the guns but we've got the numbers' part.

And the 'Five to One' meaning five rioters to one riot cop.

8. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    That's what I've always figured, although I never took the number "five" literally-- I just assumed Morrison liked the sound of it more than "six", "four", or whatever.
    You got to understand that for a brief time (maybe 1968-1970), no rocker had credibility unless he or she acknowledged the "revolution" at least once, somehow.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    First time I heard this song, I was walking with headphones on in a dark area. When Jim Morrison screamed, I jumped.

10. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Why does he say "I love my girl man" in the beginning of the song?

What does he mean when he's talking about some onewalking across the room with their flower in their hand?

And "gonna make it in our prime"

"Come together, one last time...."

I'm trying to get this song

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also the "I'm going to go out in this van with these people..."

weird.

12. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Can someone break this song down for me?

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In some cases, I think a song can only be "broke down" by the artist who wrote it.

14. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Although the song appears militant in tone, Morrison always denied it was supposed to be political. In their Morrison biography No One Here Gets Out Alive, Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman have this to say:

"Listened to in its entirety, the song seems to be a parody of all the naïve revolutionary rhetoric heard on the streets and read in the underground press of the late sixties. This interpretation is strongly supported by the final verse, [in which] Jim addressed some of the young people in his constituency, the 'hippie/flower child' hordes he saw in growing numbers, panhandling on the city sidewalks outside every concert hall."

The Doors' producer Paul Rothchild speculated about the unexplained statistic of the title: "Five to one is the same as one in six, the approximate rate of blacks to whites in the U.S., and one in five I remember was being reported as the dope-smoking ratio in Los Angeles."

15. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Interesting! I love this song though! :bassist: