1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the few things that clicked to make you a better bass player?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mlowe, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Over the years there has been a few turning points that has become serious milestones in progression. I'm sure everyone has them but what did you guys experience?

2. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    Getting a bass.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Seeing Stuart Hamm in his first instructional video back in 1991.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

When I finally figured out how to improvise and sound good doing it.

5. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    Here is a few:

Learned how to use my pinky a lot.

Learning how to play as fast with one finger instead of 2 then learning how to play fast with 2.

Thats all i can remember.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Buying more and more basses and buying more expensive ones. Now I just need to buy a big amp and I will be the best bass player in the history of the world.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

For upright bass, it's when I was forced to learn a bunch of jazz standards for a gig that I had that was coming up. Practicing all those tunes made me a lot better.

8. At least you could still earn a buck being a comedian as well!

:)

9. I've been working through some aebersold stuff and isn't that the truth......

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Megadeth basslines were the stepping stone for me, they are very good for improving your up/down/up/down picking. And there are a few songs with some fast finger work, that helped too.

11. That's weird, was going through some metallica songs today. While they are easy to play they were fun. I'm not a metal head but reading through their songs on the black album made me appreciate their work a hell of a lot more.

Never really listen to their stuff much. Audioslave and rage are another lot to learn next for a cover band i'm summoned to at the minute. Know the rage stuff but never listened to audioslave stuff yet.

Hey Roon, I notice you have a ray. I've just got the go ahead to buy one from management, (my wife) to go ahead and get the 5 i've been waiting for. Black and maple it seems. Can't wait, always wanted a stingray.

12. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Awesome! :) You're gonna love it, there's something special about 'Ray's. :smug: Standard config or one of the H/H H/S models?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Seeing Paul McCartney having girls chase him down the street.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Nice one! Ordering "Kings of Sleep" and "Radio Free Albemuth" by Stuart Hamm was a turning point for me. Then discovering Geddy Lee and Jonas Hellborg, well, that was another one! :D

15. Circle of 4ths
    note choice and placement
    fretboard position, economy of motion
    Drum rudiment exercises work great for creating basslines
    Reading music and understanding theory, helps develop the ear
    There is a lesson to learn in every jazz standard
    The use of chromatics

16. Standard 5 with the single h. I haven't heard the h/h's etc. Probably should try one but given how the originals sound I can't imagine wanting to change it. Meat and potatoes!

bup bup...... can't wait.

Only just ordered a mia 75 j bass too. She must be in a good mood. Mind you I sold 2 other to get it so that must be it. It's all about colours. Always ask your chic what colour and they forget your actually buying something for yourself. :smug:

17. emythefretless

emythefretless

May 14, 2006
    AAAahahahahaha

18. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    learning about relative minor / major

19. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Hearing how guys like James Jamerson, Chuck Rainey and Jerry Jemmott distributed the 4th/8th/16th notes in funk as was.

20. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    my school years were the "many notes years", Geddy etc, then I learned that it was the song I was creating or being a part of that was important.
    Playing with good drummers.
    In the last few years, it's unfortuantely, been how to consistently lock into a protools drum program. When that clicked, it was a relief.