1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the first riff you play, every time you pick up your bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chipter, May 31, 2012.

1. I haven't seen any threads for this, and I was wondering it.

What is the FIRST little riff you do whenever you pick up your bass to start practicing/playing?

For me, it always seems to be ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST by QUEEN.
    It's always the first thing I do when I pick up my bass.

Then I go from that into BLITZKREIG BOP by THE RAMONES for a minute.

2. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    The melody of Grim Reaper Blues by Entrance Band. It's fun.

3. I play a sustained E followed by A followed by D and followed by G. :bassist:

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Cool, that's an awesome riff.

I usually play whatever song we are working on at the moment in the band.

See, my bass holds the tune.;)

5. hahaha, this is a good post. Thinking about it, I always play this bass riff that Flea play with Chad smith in the video Adventures in sponaneous jamming. The video consists on River Pheonix asking Flea a bunch of questions while they are both significantly high. But it has these jam sections in between that are outstanding. I saw this video about ten years ago and I still can't get this one lick out of my mind. I highly recomend watching if anyone gets the chance. I don't even like the chili peppers. Flea's best work, IMO, is on the first Mars Volta full length. But the jams on this video, unstoppable man

6. BlueOrchid

BlueOrchid

May 27, 2012
    I've been playing the main riff to My Michelle by GnR lately myself :bassist:

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I always play Ducks riff from Otis Reddings (or better known as the Blues Brothers intro)
    I can't turn you loose.

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Usually Yes' "Starship Trooper" part I (Life Seeker), a bit sped up (no pauses for vocals). Or, if I want a good stretch of my fingers, Wir Sind Helden's "Heldenzeit."

9. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Often "Into the Fire" Deep Purple
    or "Money" Pink Floyd

Datin' meself, ain't I ?

10. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    that little bach piece that tenacious D plays in the pick of destiny and rock your socks off.also,whores by janes addiction.

11. For some reason it's often Money by Pink Floyd or Wrathchild by Iron Maiden.

12. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Complete with Tremolo ?

13. Over the Rainbow(melody).

14. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    For a heck of a long time, it was the opening riff from Stanley Clarke's "Bass Folk Song."

(naturally, as he and Jaco were my two big influences on bass, growing up - you know, before 'lectricity came in)

(great version, on Joe Farrell's "Moon Germs"

15. Slow (about 80bpm) 2 octave G maj scale, followed by C, F, Bb. This warms the fingers up good.

16. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The beginning to Circumstances by RUSH

17. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    The first thing I play is always whatever exercise is on whatever page of whatever book I'm working out of. I do have a set of personal favorites that I play just about everytime I practice also. Those usually come closer to the middle or end of my session though.

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I always play the parts from around 1:40 - 2:00 in Anesthesia Pulling Teeth.

19. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    An Eb or C major Scale in a nice groove to warm my fingers up.

20. Normally the bit inbeteeen the intro and verse of Primus' Wynona's Big Brown Beaver.
    Or A bit of Iron Maiden's Brave New World.