Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the function of a pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassfrog, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Bassfrog

Bassfrog

Jun 2, 2002
    I am playing bass for utmost 10 years, but always used combos or an end-trap. Probably this sounds stupid but I don't know what the exact purpose is fom a pre-amp. How do these things work and why is it necessary? What are the preferences?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

the function of my Demeter pre is to make me happy whenever i play.. :D

but seriously, a rack preamp's job to raise and push up your bass' weak signal, so it can be loud enough to drive a power amp which in turn drives your cab's speakers.

also, it can improve your tone greatly with the use of its EQ, brite & deep switches, 12AX7 tubes for warmth, and also make your whole setup more versatile with a built in effects loop, tuner out, direct recording XLR out, master volume, mute switch, etc.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    arendjan,

Your combo amp can be separated into three sections:

1. preamp...the part with the volume and tone controls

2. power amp...boosts signal from the preamp enough to drive speakers

3. speaker(s)

What's an end-trap? :confused:

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Well all a combo is, is a preamp, poweramp, and speaker in one cabinet box. People with big rigs just get a separate one of each [preamp, poweramp, speaker(s)] for modularity and ease of upgrade.

The preamps purpose, as stated previously, is to just boost the low voltage signal from the bass to the poweramp, where massive amounts of electricity are applied so the speakers can move. The difference in preamps are the variety of frequency variation or signature tones you can get. The preamp is where the true tone of your rig is variable. The poweramp is the only true component that many bassists can agree on having the most minimal effect on tone.

5. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    does that mean my emg dc40s may be overpowering my ampeg b2 preamp?