Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the going price on Private Bass Lessons?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by camerondye, May 12, 2004.

1. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I am trying to find out the going price on private bass lessons. Thanks,
    Cameron

2. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Maybe $15 - $25 for a 30 min lesson.

I don't really know - haven't taken lessons since '88, but I hope to again.

Good luck finding a quality instructor - he or she could probably help you a lot.

3. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I pay $25.00 per half hour in Northern Virginia. This is an expensive part of the country to live in, so your research may find other rates.

Good Luck....

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It depends on where you live. The going rate in SF is about $40/hr. If you go with somebody with a beginner name like Glenn Letsch, in the East Bay, he's about $50/hr last time I checked. If you go with somebody with a real big name, like Stu Hamm, I think he's about $150/hr. Of course, about half of that is for the Stu Hamm ego and attitude, but whatever..

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    At the local music shop here, it's $68 for 4 weekly half-hour lessons. 68/4= $17 per half-hour lesson.

My private teacher gives a pretty good deal at $35 per 1-hour lesson, or $140 monthly. I prefer 1-hour lessons.

As it's been said, getting a (good) teacher is the best thing you can do to improve your playing. It's well worth the cost.

:bassist:

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I pay 25 for a half hour here in the DC area

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I agree. I definitely also agree on the 1-hour lessons. I just don't see what you can really do in half an hour. The first lesson I ever gave went to 3 hours before I realized the time. I bought a stop watch after that.

8. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    My guess is that, while a one-hour or longer lesson may work for some, a 30-minute lesson might be best for others.

A beginner might not be able to retain all of the information presented to him in a one-hour lesson - even if it's written down - and may, therefore, not be getting a lot from the extra time (and extra money).

I took 30-minute lessons (on guitar) from a great instructor in Dayton, Ohio back in the 80s. I believe that I was a decent student - and yet I could hardly keep up with the weekly assignments he gave me.

Just my experience.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

Where are you taking lessons from? i just might be in the market for some instruction shortly.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I get $15 for a 30-minute lesson. One of my students does a full hour, but the others all do the 30 minutes. I mostly teach 9-14 year-olds, so the 30 minutes is perfect. Their attention spans can't handle anything more.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm charging $50.00 an hour at the moment...

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As Jazzbo says, a lot of it depends on location (as in "cost of living")

Also, I would definitely pay more to a teacher who is primarily a bassist and who gets onstage regularly with a band.

There are lots of hacks I've seen who teach bass/guitar/piano/triangle/you-name-it and they're typically cheaper. To me, that's not who I want for my teacher. Too often, they tailor your lessons to what is convenient for them instead of what your goals are. There's such a guy locally and he charges only $18 an hour for bass lessons. I checked him out and found;

- drums are his main instrument
    - he can't/won't play slap bass

........I said, "See ya later."

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Good points, all around.

14. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    You know, you might want to check your local community college, if they have a music program. I work at one, and I have been taking lessons from one of the faculty. Lessons are available to anyone who wants them, and registers for lessons (1 credit course) through the college. It works out to about $17 for a 45-minute lesson. My teacher has been a professional bass player in the jazz and fusion areas, and teacher, for over 25 years. He is a fine player. Not a hack or some know-nothing, definitely. He also knows his stuff in theory and also teaches recording tech classes. Music stores often have quality people associated with them, and some have low-quality people. But, community colleges might have a little more at stake to uphold a quality reputation, and you might have good luck finding someone good there for a very reasonalble price.

15. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    The guy at the local shop charges $15 for a half...there is a guy that works there that does private lessons fro $20 anhour...seems he is getting more business also.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i actually think 45 min lessons are best - not too short not too long.

17. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    I paid $30/hr for mine, but after the first two lesson, you had to commit to paying for them in 4 week chuncks. My instructor was good. Teaches music and music theory at the community college (you might want to see if any of the instructors at local colleges do private lessons also) as well as playing in a band and running open mics. And He was nice about tailoring lessons to what you wanted to learn and how much time you were willing to spend practicing.

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yeah - I was paying $15 for a 30 minute lesson once a week. Although my teacher would sometimes go "long" and I'd get a 45 minute lesson at no extra charge - He told me when I first started out to let him know if I ever felt that I didn't get my money's worth out of a lesson. I always felt I got my money's worth and more. This thread reminds me - I really want to see if he's got any openings and get back to taking a weekly lesson. It's money well spent.

19. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I'm starting lessons tomorrow, for the price of $40 an hour. First time with this teacher, so we'll see how it goes. I've never met the guy, but that will all change tomorrow.

20. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I know for drums at my local music store it is $28 for an hour, so I'd assume the same for bass.