What is the hardest bass-driven album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FleaisGod, Aug 20, 2000.

1. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    What do you all think about the hardest bass album? I would have to put my money on Rage Against the Machines' Self-titled debut album. What do you think?
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hardest sounding? Hardest to play? Hardest to understand? Define Hard for us.
  3. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Sorry about that, like RATM, Hardest *Sounding*.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmmm...hardest? I dunno...I've prolly never heard all of them, but I would have to say anything with Billy Sheehan on it...he's heavy and aggressive without taking the whole spotlight...even plays some difficult parts.....every once in a whole...
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I always referred to Born Again from Black Sabbath as the most oppressive album I ever heard, so I guess that could get mentioned. Also, the bass tones that The Clash leaned towards was that harsh, blown speaker kinda sound, so they can get mentioned for Combat Rock. I might even consider offering up Defenders of the Faith from Judas Priest; there's some powerful bass there, and using the octave splitter on "Love Bites" makes the floor rumble.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I am still not exactly sure what is meant by "hard" as a description of tone. But anyway, I would nominate Jean-Jacques Burnel of the Stranglers. The sound on "Rattus Norvegicus" is just so "abrasive" from the very first note of the very first track!

He is also "hard" in other senses - black belt karate - and when I saw them in the late 70s, he carried on playing now matter what - at one gig the roof was pulled down by "exuberant" fans and JJ carried on without missing a note, through it all!
  7. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hell, for the fun of it, I'll say Killers by Iron Maiden.
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Acacia I was going to say Piece of mind I love Steves Pbass tone nobody gets it like him. I agree with gweimer that Born again is a Geezer driven album I love Ian Gillian's vocals to but the Mob Rules with Geezers distorted solo's on Slipping Away had to be the best.
  9. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    My definintion of hard is different, and one of the hardest albums ever is Bob Marley's compilation: Legend. Read the insert. "...the hardest rythm section in jamacia..."
  10. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    For the sheer power of it I would say the Ramones Rocket to Russia.
  11. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    id have to say double nickels on the dime by the minutemen
  12. Doolittle by the Pixies. Really any Pixies album. Kim Deal wails.
  13. Could you possible mean "heavy", Fleaisgod?

I'd vote for the "Chronicles" EP by Darklands (they're from Scandinavia). I'm probably one in 100 people who have this EP, but man, you should hear the bassist roar. Heaviest bass sound I ever heard.... heavier than mine (and that means something).

14. BigAlex

Jun 12, 2000
    KoRn... all of their stuff is "bass driven." Just think about it, all their songs are thump ta bump da pop thump...
  15. mayfairmistress

Aug 19, 2000
    if your looking for somthing with bass drivin songs that sound hard but are super easy. its gotta be The Smashing Pumpkins first album 'Gish'.
  16. Primus anyday.

Loads of bassplaying.

17. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Primus - Pork Soda. the album starts out with a little banjo diddley, and then Les slides down to his low b. it continues with tripelits revolving around b, d and c. Speaker RuuuumbbuuullllliiinGg
  18. I think Rush's 2112 is the heaviest "bass driven" album out there. I love the distorted grindy tone on it. It's a heavy message, too; A society where music is not politically correct.
  19. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    HARD (difficult): Jamiroquai, Pretty much any of them.
    (Really funky and hard to duplicate,
    specially on "Canned Heat".)

HARD (heavy): KoRn, Pretty much any of them. (He
    really beats the sh*t out of his bass!!)

HARD (abrasive): Static-X, Wisconsin Death Trip. (God, I
    love that dripping distortion sound.)
  20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    HARD in the 1st degree: Watchtower - Control & Resistance (Those guy's are either mutants or cyborgs...)

HARD in the 2nd degree: Anything by <b><i><big>Motörhead</big></b></i> - This is where it all began...

HARD in the 3rd degree: The Mistakes - The Mistakes [Surgeon General's Warning: This album can actually be <b>hazardous</b> to your mental health!]

[Edited by JMX on 09-15-2000 at 05:44 PM]