What is the hardest team sport?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Nov 21, 2004.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    and no.... tag team WWF does NOT count.

i say water polo

it is the most physically draining sport (no touching the bottom, you must fight for position at almost all times)

everything must be done with one hand, (ball handling wise)

field of play is extremely small (compared to other sports fields), thus moving a normal sized ball through 7 opposing players can get very tricky.

it is one of the most physically abusive sports. (this season i recall pissing blood on 6 separate occasions after games, damn kidney shots) Everyone takes the rule "it is only illegal if you get caught" to heart, and to many, it IS the only rule in the game.

no one can hear you scream when you are drowning.

So, are there any other sports out there that are "tougher" than waterpolo?

2. I would that synchronized swimming would be pretty hard too. Keeping everything perfectly timed, plus having the agility to move like they do, it would be pretty amazing.
  3. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    No question, tag team WWF.
  4. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    oh carp... that is the hardest sport. My waterpolo team tries to do it for fun, to no avail. it is EXTREMELY difficult.
  5. ZZMorgan

Sep 6, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Australian rules football. Hands down.
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I would have to say ice hockey when it's played right. You have the speed of professional basketball, the physical impact of professional football or rugby, the skating skills of professional figure skating, and the hand-eye coordination of baseball all tossed into one game. There are no naturally timed endings for plays unless there is a penalty or line violation, the puck is "frozen" or leaves the playing area. The play can go non-stop end - end for several minutes, which is physically draining. Add the complication that there's this little black frozen chunk of rubber zipping around at around 100 miles per hour (better than any fast ball) and really big guys who don't necessarily like you carrying sticks and wielding very sharp skate blades. Fun, fun, fun!

7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Clubbing on a Saturday night.
  8. Thats a laugh.

I have a hard enough time staying on my feet skating, let along trying to whack something while being barged at. Its up there.

So many different angles to take this from, though - requiring most discipline and training (Gymnastics - nuff said), most painful (Football of one kind or another), most enduring (Marathon, perhaps), hardest to learn the rules of (Rugby Union - the vast majority of fans don't even know them), autonomous responsibility (relay running - you drop that baton and you're in ****) etc. Defining which is the "hardest" depends upon which criteria or combination of you select. For me, its gotta have discipline, training, pain, be enduring, complicated and just amazing to watch when its pulled off well. Rugby all the way... :hyper:

9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Underwater Rugby isn't bad either.

Trying to get a heavy ball from other end of the area to the other basket while 15 feet underneath the water with half a dozen guys doing everything they can to get it from you can be entertaining.. especially when you're running out of air and need to decide if you can hold on just a moment more to get that point home :D

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  11. Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    Rugby most definetly. Try playing 80mins flat out :/ exhausting.
  12. Yep that gets my vote
    But for physical contact I'll say Rugby League
  13. That's the weirdest mushroom I have ever seen in my 20 years as a mycologist.
  14. Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
  15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    American Football.. you guys ever watch a high school team practice? holy hell.
  16. football not only because of the physical part, but it has so many complicated rules/plays/strategies, etc etc etc
  17. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Eh, football's not THAT hard. Sure, you run around a lot, but at least you have prtection...rugby, IMO, is much higher on the scale. There's a lot more that are higher too.

18. like i said, not because of the physical aspect (because tons of sports are very physical) but everything else about football (all the penaltys, team cooperation etc) is wat makes it so hard/complicated.
  19. i say rugby or water polo.