What is the impedance of my speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quzumm, May 31, 2002.

1. Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    I have a 2*12 + tweeter combo that I am going to replace the speakers in. The manual says that the impedance of an external speaker cab must be no lower than 8 ohm, so I belive that the load of the speakers + tweeter in combo is 8 ohm, and that the amp can handle a 4 ohm load. Correct?
    The tweeter is 8 ohm, but the back of the speakers do only tell me that it is "HH Premier Vintage 60" speakers. Could anyone tell what the impedance of these speakers are?
    (I can't find any info about HH speakers on the web.)
  2. probably 4ohms or 16 ohms. Can you look to see how the speakers are wired together?

It could be 4+4=8ohms in series, or 16+16=8ohms wired in parallel. If their in parallel, their 16ohms, if in series, 4 ohms.
  3. Quzumm

Sep 25, 2000
    Trondheim, Norway
    I guess they're wired in parallel(?), speaker 1 has black and red cable from amp and black and red cable to speaker 2. (Amp=speaker=speaker); where the "=" are the cables.
    But wouldn't this result in a total impedance of 4 ohms of the speakers and the tweeter together???
    It seems a little strange that the impedance of the internal speakers + tweeter are different from the minimum impedance that an external cabinet can have???
  4. I don't think that the tweeter has a significant effect on impedence. I don't know for sure though. If your amp is rated to 4 ohms, then your 8 ohm built in cab and 8 ohm extension cab make 4 ohms.