1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the Jazz or P of 6-string basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by <MrVentures>, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Reading through TB, and based on the vast number of models inspired by them, seems like Js and Ps are the classic, go-to 4-string basses. What, if anything, is the equivalent for 6-string bass?

Hopefully that question makes sense.

2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. It isn't quite what you asked, but I think it should be said in this context that Anthony Jackson's contrabasses were the progenitors of the 6-string bass guitar.

B-Mac, The Nameless and <MrVentures> like this.
  3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    There isn't one.

4. This is a really interesting article about the history of the development of the 6-string. Thanks for sharing! I couldn’t believe it when I read about the development with Carl Thompson: “At Carl’s suggestion, we extended the scale to 44" and strung it with extra-long upright strings.”

44” scale! Yikes!

The Owl and Snaxster like this.
  5. This is what I was expecting, but had to ask anyway!

6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    That was going to be my answer, but I wanted not to be a party pooper. :D

<MrVentures> likes this.
  7. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The longer answer is that because 6 strings are a comparatively new design, people haven't gotten all nostalgic about one or the other. They also haven't grown to full acceptance the way 4 string Fender P and J basses have. There are fights about extended range basses on TB all the time.
    Because they are more utilitarian (you need one if you need one), and they came to prominence during a time when there were a lot of successful brands making them, there isn't one that stands out as "the one."

8. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    Ken Smith, maybe. :unsure:

9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    That's what I was thinking too. I agree there isn't really an iconic six that jumps to mind. But when I read the first post, and whenever anyone asks about a good example of a six, I usually think Ken Smith. Which is kinda funny, because I don't really jive with them. o_O

<MrVentures> and Vinny_G like this.
  10. The Yamaha TRB and the Ibanez SR are probably the most ubiquitous in the professional scene.

Ken Smith is the godfather.

11. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    There you go.

Vinny_G and <MrVentures> like this.
  12. Just by observation, while lots of guys move on to other, more expensive instruments, it would seem that a LOT of guys first got into six-string bass via the less-expensive Ibanez Soundgears: I always see used trade-ins in almost every music store, pawn shop, and easy to find online. Inexpensive buy-in, gig-able, and even upgrade-able with their usually common-sized soapbars.

I've never quite decided if they got cold feet and went back to fours or fives, or if they went upmarket from there, but I always see lots of them around.

<MrVentures> likes this.
  13. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Probably Curbow for 7-string. :smug:

14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Well.
    Anthony Jackson used Fodera for the continuation of his development of the six.
    So.....

But many have taken up the cause of the six.
    So we don't have to pay out Fodera $$$$ to play a six.
    The Four.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  15. Besides Jackson, I was thinking about John Patitucci as an iconic 6-string player, and his signature bass appears to be modeled after the TRB series.

The Owl and gebass6 like this.
  16. John's longest standing signature models are both in the TRB line - the TRBJP1 and TRBJP2 models.

<MrVentures> and The Owl like this.
  17. gebass6 likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021