1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the least amount of watts I'd need to play along with an acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FBS1996, May 10, 2011.

1. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    I need to get a small battery powered amp that will be loud enough to be heard with an acoustic

2. Phil Jones Briefcase. Done.

3. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    I would get one but thats WAY out of my price budget :(

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I would check out something in the Roland Micro Cube line.

5. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    Also out of my price range. Im kinda poor and i need one by the summer:(

6. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion though :)

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The microcube is like $125 new. :eyebrow: what is your budget?

8. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    I like in the UK and they're about £180 (at least 200 bucks) My budget is about 70 bucks(ish) :meh:

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You're not going to find anything "better" than the gear you have listed in your profile, I don't think.

10. Then you're may have to hope you can find something used. There are a few really small battery powered amps out there, but they are probably not going to do diddly for bass amplification. As to your original question, you could probably get by with about 25 watts. A plug in amp won't work in your situation? The Phil Jones Briefcase is pretty awesome, but way overkill. And expensive. The Microcube would do the job, I suppose.

Good luck.

11. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    I know it wont find anything that sounds great, I just need one thats loud enough to play with a dreadnought, battery powered and doesn't get distorted

12. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
  13. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
  14. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Heard a bass run through a karioke 'toy' with cd and a built-in battery. Outdoors. Carvin 5-string bass with fiddle, banjo, and two guitars. Couldn't hear the bass unless I was within 10 feet. That means they all heard it, but no one else did. At same event another bassest used the GK 200 amp through a 1X12 speaker. Sounded very nice. Listened as I moved away and I could both hear and feel it out about 50-75 feet from the cab; again this was outdoors and accoustic instruments were about the same. For the price I'd stay at or above 200 watts, esp. since many accoustic gigs are outdoors.

15. I'm not sure about the price of them, but I know that Ibanez has a new Battery powered amp series, you could check them out!

16. Are you talking amplified acoustic guitar or naked? If it's just a guitar you could use any little bass practice amp. I saw some Brazillian buskers with one, running off a car battery so it must be possible to convert one on the cheap.

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 to Downunderwonder. You can annoy the hell out of an acoustic player with a tiny practice amp. Doesn't take much.

18. +1 on the Pignose...do not underestimate the tone those cheesy little boxes can crank out.

19. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    just the acoustic, no amp

20. Watts are pretty meaningless at the best of times but in playing with an un amped guitar you can forget about them altogether.