1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the least represented trait on the Internet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Strat-Mangler, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Intelligence

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Compassion

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Politeness

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Common Sense

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  5. Maturity

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    I'm curious to figure out which trait TB'ers believe is the least represented online.

Discuss...

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cowardice is missing. All of the cowards who feel totally comfortable saying racial epitaphs based on comments or screen names but wouldn't dare say those things in real life.

3. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Humility.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    ooooh good thread subject!
    I would say "compassion". There are plenty of smart people around, plenty of polite people. Common sense aint so common even in the "real" world, and maturity is about 50/50 here on the interwebz. What seems to be lacking is real compassion for others. I think it's the anonymity of it all. Words on a screen are the only window you have here into the thoughts and feelings of other human beings. Sometimes it's easy to forget that your dealing with people and not words, who knows.

5. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I'm going to say "Objectivity".

People form their opinions and that's it!
    From then on they refuse to even consider someone else's viewpoint on the topic.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thats not true at all!

:D

7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I picked compassion with one caveat.

I think integrity should be on that list. More oft than not you see folks post a certain way because it's group think in nature. Later you read a post from them and it's a different thing. *shrugs* I'm not sure if that's the right word or if I've explained it properly. That's just my thought anyway.

By and large I think people are mostly good, especially on these forums given the diversity of its members. I DO think you would find the compassionless ( Yay for made up words! ) posts are from younger people.

8. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    :D

9. that's EPITHETS you little ba....oh, wait...heh, heh

i mean, my dear friend, i believe you have inadvertently utilized the wrong noun

davesignatureII-1.

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Honesty.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The list is an odd collection of choices, but I chose one.

-Mike

12. which one?

davesignatureII-1.

13. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I would say "intelligence". I think in some pockets of the internet, you get intelligent posters. However, go out a bit from those pockets and there's a depressing lack of intelligence in places. Sometimes I wonder how some people managed to survive a day, let alone use a computer.

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Civility.

15. Yep.

16. RosieB

RosieB

Feb 10, 2009
    Good judgement. Or perhaps that would fall under intelligence or common sense.

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    The poll refers to what's least represented. Cowardice is the opposite.
    Well,... I usually give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe that person changed his/her mind or read facts that made them realize a different viewpoint.

I'll disagree with you about the lack of compassion being generally from youngsters. Most people on the forums I frequent are in the 40 & up bracket and there's *plenty* of "I don't give a rat's ass" attitude. I'm constantly amazed at the brutal slap-in-the-face type of comments I read when the OP is clearly in pain or needs genuine help/suggestions.

That would fall under "politeness."

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hot chicks willing to post bikini pics is the trait that's most missing on the internet, although that gap seems to be closing as of late.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    I vote for impulse control you stupid son of mother.:D

20. I wanna pick them all. They're like Pokemon..