What is the Les Paul of basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Nov 7, 2004.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    You know what I mean, not the actual Les Paul bass. But a bass that is classy, classic in terms of looks and sound, beautiful, recognized, etc...
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Tele = Pbass
    Strat = Jbass
    Rick = Rick
    Les Paul = Stringray (maybe?)
  3. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I'd say the Fender American Jazz Bass.
  4. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The Eko Beatle bass
    El Pelusa likes this.
  5. Recognized by the average Joe, then more than likely a Stingray.

Recognized by a bass player with serious GAS, then either Alembic, MTD, or Sadowsky.
  6. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Tele= P-Bass
    Strat= J-Bass

When I see a Les Paul, I tend to think of the craftsmanship that goes into its construction. Not getting into a debate about application or sound vs. Fender guitars, but one company continued its tradition of creating beautiful and complex guitars that double as works of art, while the other designed its guitars as musical instruments only, concentrating on ease of assembly and mass production. They both succeeded in the bigger picture, but I wouldn't compare any Fender bass to a Les Paul.

The arched, flamed, bookmatched, bound maple top, mahogany body w/set neck, bound, inlaid fingerboard, two-piece bridge, rear routing, and angled headstock don't make the Paul a better guitar than a Strat or a Tele, but those characteristics require more craftsmanship than anything Fender's ever done.

If any bass is the Les Paul of basses, it's an Alembic (which actually outdoes the Les Paul wrt craftsmanship) They're not as identifiable by non-bassists as P or J-basses (what is?), but any bassist can recognize one from the 20th row, and they're one of the few high-end basses that has been around since near the beginning.
  7. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id say there is none.

I think the bass world is a lot more open ended than the guitar world. There is too much going on for bassist to focus on any one intrument and give it that status.
  9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003.
  10. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If you asked me that question 20+ years ago, it would've been a Rickenbacker for sure. Today, with so many options to chose from, picture is muddy.

11. agreed
  12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  13. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    OT: I never cared for the Les Paul unless it was being played by Les Paul.
  14. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Well after just purchasing a Spector and having owned a Les Paul. I would have to say "Spector"!
  15. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Hmmm.... :meh:

Classic Looks?
    Classic sound?

Well, it HAS to be 'Spector' doesn't it?!? :p :bassist:

As someone on here once said in another thread... "if the answer isn't 'Spector' you're asking the wrong question!!" :D
  16. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  17. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I don't find anything at all visually appealling about Spector basses!