1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the "loudest" & easiest to transport cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gothguy, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Gothguy

Gothguy Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2016
    Think if Dino Jr had to play a Stadium & their bass player could only bring a cab that would fit in the back of his car. What would it be? Amplifier is an SVT. The low notes are what is important. Something that could shake the building. Does a cab exist?

2. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    Slide a 8x10 or 2x15 fridge into the back seat

(You didn't specify what car)

3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Fearful 12/12/6

MTN.bass72, Jazzjames, Kro and 5 others like this.
  4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    "Loudest" and "easiest to transport" (per your thread title) don't always go together and, yeah, you didn't specify what car. ;) Since you're asking, though, I'm going to figure "smaller than an 810" but still capable of "pretty damned loud" with 300 Watts (that's another factor -- some cabs that are capable of going loud and low are power-hungry).

For covering a big area (sound for you and your bandmates on stage and for the audience) clearly without muddying up or blasting out the stage, I haven't found anything better than the MAS cabs. Some of them like a lot of juice, but he made a few that were pretty efficient and well suited to tube amps.

I don't know if the following is still available, but I imagine that it would be pretty monstrous (at least on par with a good 2x15 for coverage) with an SVT: For Sale - MAS Bodai 115

I got to try it once, relatively briefly, at the seller's house with a Shaw B-150 and an Orange AD 200B. Could barely turn the amp up under the circumstances, but, even at low volume, the cab was more efficient than a couple of others next to it that I know go pretty loud. Based on my experience with other MAS cabs, I'd expect the lows to be very good, but it's definitely not limited to that -- with the separate mid-drivers chamber, it's pretty open-sounding and full-range. You might have to re-think your approach to EQ (depending on what you're playing now), but the cab should be pretty versatile. It's definitely not a living room/small space cab, though -- you'd need a little room and volume to open it up and let it breathe.

Even though they are (perhaps over-) prescribed on TB for everything from fixing boom onstage to curing psoriasis, if you're trying to get the most out of your rig (any rig) in a loud, live setting, an HPF (high pass filter) can help you push more bass by cutting sub-bass. If you're into sounds with not a lot of top end, you might consider a combination HPF/LPF, or maybe the Omni-Cab Sim Deluxe (I haven't tried that pedal myself, but it sounds/looks pretty cool and there's a big thread about it in the amps forum.)

Balog and Jazzdogg like this.
  5. Gothguy

Nov 24, 2016

thank you for the thoughtful response!

6. What kind of car? If I had to constantly lug band stuff still, I'd have a beat up Chevy Express or Econoline panel Van. My Malibu carries my ts15 just fine and it's big enough for what I need. If I were Dino Junior's bassist though, I'd probably be able too stomach that panel Van straight six gas money to lug a drum kit and an 810 though.

7. Gothguy

Nov 24, 2016
    I had a sedan. Owned vans my entire life. Guy crashed into me & I used the money to buy a car. Love it for the daily driving but it's impossible to lug the 8x10 anymore.

8. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    Mesa Subway 2x12 or 2x15 have similar sensitivity and max SPL as the Ampeg SVT-810E, but they are much lighter and more compact.

The Bergantio NXT212 has high sensitivity and is quite light. They don’t list max SPL, but I’d expect it to be comparable to the Mesa Subway or Ampeg.

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My former guitarist had a Dodge Magnum, and my former drummer had a Honda Element, and either one could carry an 810 in it.
    I used to have a Geo Metro and a Honda Accord, and either would carry my Mesa 215.

10. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    fEARful 1515/66 & call it a day
    1515-66.png

11. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    When I read the title of this thread and the first post, here's what immediately came to mind:

Barefaced 610 or 810. :thumbsup:

They work *GREAT* with all-tube amps due to their easy impedance curve (per Alex Claber, owner and designed of Barefaced cabs).

Bahjark, Waltsdog, Dp1363 and 3 others like this.
  12. An ampeg 610hlf fits perfectly in my hatchback. Ford focus. I can also fit the whole drum set minus the two kick drums in there with all my gear. Kick drums go in the guitarists car with the pa 20170803_175852.jpg 20170803_175841.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  13. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    When I was a young buck, I'd slide an SVT fridge across the back seat of my '68 Barracuda.
    Don't ask me how it fit, but it did!

14. treyydogg

treyydogg

Jan 14, 2020
    Memphis tn
    well this is good to see ... new , or not really new i suppose i should say younger than myself bass players and their piers ALL saying , "bring the 8x10" last time i commented in one of these on TB everyone was against my opinion which is ... move more air whenever possible , makes it feel better on stage , dont have to push any equipment anywhere near danger zone if to get a friend to help load that monolythic masterpiece on top of the chevette... huh ? yeah yeah ive played live thru little mark bass rigs & the like ... the like i didnt likie at all being on stage and when i tried to migrate around and enjoy what is, for me the most enjoyable thing in my life ... EVER ! i cant hear anywhere but practically sitting on the tiny thing. im not saying MB rigs dont sound good OR get loud enuff but if you can afford a mark bass 8x10 then you probably dont have to worry much about how your rig will arrive at venue or even how many cabs they will set up there for you ... right? i find that tuned cabs like MB and my personal favorite Trace Elliot have longer throw than randomly sealed ampeg 8x10s w\hich i also love love love . if uyou have transportation issues get a 1x15 and 4x10 and youn will figure out how to get em there ... its really about wattage ... RMS if you have 8x10 on each side of drum riser but not enuff power to push em then you are spittin in the proverbial wind ... and by the way not making any with your under powered monoliths ... i like SVT-4pro with two 8x10 cabs ANYWHERE ... literally and the cabs are fairly affordable if you get some or one used ... dont worry bou8t how the tolex may be hanging off these like streamers cause thats what is ineviteable and if it bothers you ,,, which it used to me ... pull it all off or trim streamers off and apply a generous coat of truck bedliner ... on stage looks like brannew 4 ever ...

Ethereal Thorn likes this.
  15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The Greenboy Dually is efficient, takes a good bit of power, and is surprisingly light. It tilts back on casters and rolls around easily, and I can lift it up a few steps with one hand. It's a more traditionally sounding cab rather than HiFi. It may be too big for a sedan, however a pair of Bassics would give you the same output and be a bit more flexible as far as packing. The down sides is a pair of Bassics would not be as easy to wheel around as a Dually.

16. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    fEARful 1515/66 or fEARless F215

MTN.bass72, Jazzjames and EMoneySC2 like this.
  17. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    In your stadium situation, I’d expect the PA to do the heavy lifting, and you’d only have to monitor from the stage.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Ric Vice and smogg like this.
  18. For a single cab probably one of the more expensive 212 or 215 cabs like Mesa, barefaced, or greenboy. But as others have said you’d be surprised what you can fit in most cars. I drive a little Mitsubishi Lancer and gig with a 410 and a 115. One cab in the trunk and the other in the front passenger seat. Basses amp and pedals laid across the back seat.

19. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    The GK CX410 has a 4ohm version that can handle 800 watts. ~60 pounds and has handles/castors. Can fit in pretty much any car.

SwitchGear likes this.
  20. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I declare the question invalid because if you're playing a stadium, you have transportation. But playing along, I'd probably go with a barefaced 610 even though I've never touched one.