1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the markup price of.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Let's just say any Fender Bass. How much do just the parts cost (not the assembly)? Not warmoth parts either, im sure their overpriced too. Basically, I want to know how much fender spends on each bass, and how much they make on said bass.

2. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Usually finding out the actual cost of the item versus what you buy it at is pretty depressing, just so you know. :)

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    wood is cheap, but do you think fender (or any other company that builds "parts basses") pluck their necks and bodies from trees, fully formed? you can get a maple log el cheapo, but i dont think you can do anything with it.

everything has a price. the workmanship, the transport, the advertising, the endorsement deals. looking at just material price will give you a very low and unrealistic value.

4. Yeah i know all of this, but im just curious about how much the basses materials are worth.

5. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I don't know if it's much help, but retail stores generally pay half for merchandise that they buy (compared to list prices). This isn't always the case of course, but as a sort of rule there is a 100% markup on most stuff they sell. So if a Fender MIM P-bass is 400$, then the store bought it for 200$.. which means it cost at LEAST 190$ to make - I don't know how much profit Fender makes per instrument and I don't know if that sort of thing is public record. You can usually argue prices down with salesmen at music places becuse of the large markup.

6. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Figure everyone is making 25%.

So if GC sells it for $400, they paid $300. Since the manufacturer sold it for $300, it cost them $225, but we have to add in the shipping so say manufacturer's cost was $200 to build.

To pile of parts of a generic Fender bass cost them $50 tops, the rest pays the mortgage, employees, utilities, etc....if materials are more than 25% of your costs you are not going last long in business.