1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the meaning of HEADROOM?????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by carlospppena, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Hello All;

It is probably the fact that english is not my first language that makes me ask this: WHAT IS HEADROOM????

Thanx tons,

Carlos Peña

2. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    i know it to mean "how much louder you could get" without getting there. if you play softly and quietly with a 1000 watt amp, you would have a lot of headroom. if all your knobs on your amp are turned to the upper highest limit, there would be no more headroom.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It means the power-handling ability your equipment or component has, above the amount you are using at any one moment. In other words if the device (pickup, preamp, power amp, speaker, etc.) can either produce or receive more power than is already going into or out of it, without compressing or distorting, then that extra clean power handling ability is called headroom.

Think of it like when you walk through a doorway. The space above your head, to the door frame, is the headroom. If you are tall, or the doorway is short, then you bump your head against the frame--that's like distortion. Or you stoop down to go under, and that's like compression. :)

Puedo intentar a traducir si quieres.

4. thanx tons guys. it will do. i get it.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    All you really NEED is a 40 watt amp, but you have a 1,000 watt amp - that's headroom.

6. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    040321headroom.

This is all the Headroom anyone needs

7. Is headroom considered good then? I always thought that my hartke rig sounded best when driven almost to the limit... or cranked up, you would say... ????

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's all about what sound you're trying to achieve, and the physical limitations of the speakers. Headroom in an amp is good if you want clean sound and if your speakers can handle the spikes of wattage (meaning they have headroom too). If you like a driven sound, then headroom is "bad".

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

OMFG!!!!!!!! I completely forgot about him.

LOL

10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Adjustable steering wheel = headroom

11. LOL!!

and a reclining seat...:cool:

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You know he's in the movie Watchmen. He plays Moloch.

13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I haven't seen it yet,,,, However I meant Max Headroom the character.

Video killed the radio Star

Aj

14. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Oh I know, but I thought I'd mention the actor (Matt Frewer) is still around... if not quite a bit older now.

[​IMG]

15. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    My experience has been that headroom is a VERY good thing with solid state amps (my personal preference) because driving them to the point of clipping is not a pleasant sound, it's very harsh. With lots of headroom you can push out huge lows that are full and solid with no breakup.

Tube amps on the other hand sound best to many folks when driven hard so that you're introducing the harmonics into the tone that come "at the edge" of what it can put out. That's the classic SVT hard rock sound.

16. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    Keep in mind that clipping is what causes speaker failure. I like to have available headroom to keep the sound clean, and to prevent clipping.

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Actually that's a myth that has been debunked on this forum countless times. Search on it to read the facts.