1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the metal distortion on the ME-50B is modeled after?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nextdimension, Jul 27, 2012.

1. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As I said in another thread I'm trading out my ME-50B for some individual pedals but I can't seem to find the distortion I want.
    I used the Metal setting on the ME, I wasn't crazy about it but the grit it provided really gave my SA BEF something to grab onto when I used the hot hand.
    Any suggestions on what I should check out? Right now I'm just running a Tech 21 VT into it and I just can't get the BEF to talk like it did with that, I think I need more fuzz or something.

2. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    When companies model other companies' gear, they're generally not shy about the specifics.

In the case of the ME-50B's Drive/Synth settings, the Bass Driver is based on the Tech21 BDDI, the Over Drive is the Boss ODB-3, and the Muff Fuzz is the BMP.

In the case of the Natural, Distortion, Metal and Hi-Band Drive, there isn't a piece of gear listed as a basis.

I've run across discussions where someone couldn't find a specific pedal which did this sound. However, if you do find one, be sure to post so the next person can have the benefit of your experience.

3. boss calling something "metal distortion"? i recon thats probably a metal zone. unless they called the metal zone the metal zone and had something else for metal.

4. HM-2, I kind of doubt that though.

5. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    I would say either the Boss HM-2 heavy metal, or metal zone pedal.

6. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I suggest you try the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. Simon Gallup of The Cure uses this going into a flanger for one of his signature sounds.

7. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Right on, I was kind of thinking it might be the metal zone. I'll have to check it out. I've heard some complaints about that pedal killing your bass tone, which my metal setting did. Any suggestions on something that'll give a similar grit/fuzz but keep the bass?

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You can mod the Metal Zone or you can purchase a blender pedal depending on your long term plans.

9. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't use distortion so I can't recommend anything, but it seems to me that using any kind of distortion pedal is going to take away a little of your low end unless it's a bass-specific pedal. If it were me I'd just add some extra bass with my EQ whenever engaging the distortion to compensate. And AFAIK Gallup doesn't use use any kind of blender or anything and it sounds good.

10. If it cuts bass, you can't just boost the lows on the amp to compensate.

11. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I think it depends on how much it cuts. Also you could compensate by boosting the lows before the distortion, either on your bass or with an EQ pedal.

Actually, the MT-2 has its own EQ knobs, and they may be just for this purpose.

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My MT-2 is modded, so I can't speak to stock performance, but I find that the low frequency is mostly mud. The sweepable mids are very useful though.

13. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cool thanks for all the info. I ended up getting a Mastotron fuzz pedal which works awesome!
    One thing I like to do to add a little bass back when the distortion is on is lightly pressing down my crybaby bass wah the runs in front of the distortion.

14. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    He no longer uses the MT-2, unfortunate, because he had a great sound with it. For the 4:13 Dream tour in 2008 he switched it out for an ODB-3. Not even close to the same sound, I wish he'd quit using those Schecters too, like they don't have a terrible sound, but I'm just used to seeing him with other basses :(

And yeah, I can't think of any other Boss pedal that a "metal distortion" effect would be modelled after, and I don't think it would be the HM-2, as it's been discontinued for 21 years.

15. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    I do like the Mastotron, and I bought mine because it plays nicely with active pickups.

Just a note for those interested: The D. Level knob for the Metal setting on the ME-50B adjusts the volume of the direct sound, allowing one to get back the bottom end. A lot of bass pedals have that kind of thing.

OP, when you're talking about your metal setting, are you talking about the ME-50B not giving you that option, or something else?

16. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    No it allowed me to do that, but it still killed the tone I thought and I just wasn't too crazy about it. I just liked the way it interacted with the BEF, but I think I like the Mastotron a lot more.