1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the Mid Q nob do on the Ibanez SR4006?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whippet, Mar 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I have been fiddling around with the SR4006 and there is a Mid Q nob between the treble and mid .
    There is an eq on and off switch on the body too.

I am guessing this midQ widens or shortens the mid frequencies. It seems to do very little. If I turn off the eq switch, it changes the tone a little bit but nothing like boost or cut when the eq is on.

What am I doing wrong or is this thing busted or is this the way this nob works?

Also does eq swith off mean it is in passive mode?

2. Here´s the layout for the SR5006 - I´d imagine it´s probably similar, if not identical:
    [​IMG]
    The mid switch won´t make any difference unless you boost or cut the mids (and the EQ is on).
    The EQ Bypass is just that - it´s not an active/passive switch, i. e. no battery, no sound.

3. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014

It is similar the mid frequency selector is replaced by a nob that is called Mid Q. I will try what you wrote, eq on, mid boost or cut, and see what it does.

One more question, if EQ on/off switch is not an active / passive switch, long story short, the only thing working is the volume and balancer on the bass. What is this type of sound called? It's not passive, is it just called original sound, raw sound?

4. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    the mid Q knob changes the actual frequency that the mid boost/cut is centerd on just like the switch in the diagram except you get more variation from the knob, if the mid boost/cut knob is centerd in the flat position you should not here any change from the Q knob.
    to get a good idea of it's effect turn the mid knob all the way up or down then sweep the Q knob up and down while you play hamerons with your fret hand

5. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Thank you very much for the detailed instruction. Will try and see what it does!

6. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The Mid-Q knob is used to set the mid range frequency for adjustment by the Mid Cut/Boost.

In other words, you use it to dial in the frequency you want to emphasize or de-emphasize.

Bob

7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    It sounds like the 'Q' is a misnomer. Most people will think of 'Q' as the bandwidth of the band-pass filter rather than the centre frequency. The 'narrower' the Q, the steeper the sides of the band-pass filter and the more focussed it becomes on the centre frequency.

OP: How does your control layout compare to the diagram posted above?

8. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Thanks for the information. When you say narrower, you mean as in turning to the LEFT (shutting it off)?

Pretty much the same, except the Q nob sits between the mid and treble, and instead of being a 3 way selector, it is an infinite selector, you know the ones that don't click, just smooth all around.

9. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    POWERCURVEIII.

Turning the knob shifts the center frequency while also tightening or expanding the bandwidth. Turning the knob CW *should* make it tighter and around 450hz or so, while CCW widens and raises it up around 800hz, I believe.

Whippet likes this.
  10. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    So just as SoreFinger says, it is a minor tweak of the boost and cut ?

11. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Thank you so much for the graph. Now I can physically see what is going on. I will try to make some sense out of this thing!

12. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    You're welcome. Just keep in mind I might have gotten the rotation direction backwards.

13. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Oh, and the EQ Bypass is an active/passive switch. It just Ibanez' terminology.

Whippet likes this.
  14. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    no problem about the rotation direction.

so it is an active / passive switch?? I still need a battery for the thing to function even if it were a active passive switch since it is not a true by pass and the battery acts as a conductor for the thing to work? Is this the correct assumption?

Also the mid Q does NOT act as a tone nob right during the passive mode / eq off mode ?

15. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Incorrect. According to the wiring diagram, the balance and volume feed directly into the jack, so no battery is needed for passive. However, only these two knobs will function. The preamp does NOT feature a passive tone control of any kind. I'll try to post the diagram for you.

Whippet likes this.
  16. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    No tone, no wonder, I was fiddling around with it and it made no difference when the EQ was set on off. I thought it was busted.

Anyway, I was finally able to do everything that was recommended and believe it or not, depending on the amp setup that Mid Q becomes more evident. I plugged my newly bought VT Bass Deluxe into my TC Electronic BG 250 208 and found out that in this form, the Q switch is very pronounced, potent, and usable.

I am suspecting that on certain factory settings on the VT Bass Deluxe, the mids are more pronounced so the Q switch starts playing a major role. Through the combo amp directly, unless I start to really crank up the mids, it has very little effect and by the time I crank up the mid, the tone starts to become undesirable and no amount of tamper with the Q switch helps. At neutral position on bass, mid, treble, the Q works but is very subtle that if I were playing with someone else, it would hardly be noticed or missed.

Long story short, expecting the mid Q to work wonders out of a cheap VOX headphone amp which I use in early morning practice or a 50 dollar cheap combo isn't going to make any worthy impression. The minimum requirement for this bass is a half decent amp setup.