Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is the most anyone here has modded an essex?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    i'm looking into buying a p bass from rondomusic because its so cheap..i know they are good basses for the money..but has anyone on here ever really cutomized it, like replacing the neck/pick ups/bridge, and if so does it hold up to average priced fender quality?

2. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    From what I've hears SX bass's = MIM fenders overall, tone etc..

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My Essex J now has Alembic pickups and electronics. They're worth about 5 times what the whole guitar cost me. I'm nuts!

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've heard they're a bridge between MIM's and Squiers. I'm going to get an SX Tele for my birthday in November and plan to toss in some new pickups around Christmas. Not much else though. Maybe an EMG Afterburner.

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I modded mine with a new Fender body and neck,pickups and electronics,bridge,scratchplate and strings ...... the strap buttons are original though... :bag:

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My Essex fretless J has no mods, and I don't think I will do any to it. It is that good. Essex basses are not cheap copies or slopily made budget basses. They are good. I mean, seriously, good. Some people have modded them, and many leave them the way the are. I plan on leaving mine just as I got it. I like her just the way she is.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think I have the most modded SX.

This is one I started on a while back....I bought it just as a backup and then starting modding.....as you will see im pretty pleased with the results:

[​IMG]

:D

8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Wow! that's Very nice indeed :bassist:

9. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I put a set of MEC pickups in my SX Jazz

10. My mod list is as follows:

Start with SX LPB fretless $120.00

then replace (mod) with :

Dimarzio model J pups $35.00
    Custom Shop slimtail bridge $30.00
    Vintage knobs $8.00
    CTS pots and cloth wire $15.00
    Mint green pickguard $15.00

Total cost = $223.00 plus shipping

For about half the money of a MIA Fender I have a bass that looks, sounds and plays like I want. As far as MIM goes it's no contest. About the only thing it doesn't have is the snob appeal decal. :)

11. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    My ash-bodied Essex J now has:

-Dimarzio Model J pups
    -Stew-Mac pots and jack
    -series/parallel wiring mod using Stew-Mac push/pull DPDT tone pot
    -changed pickguard and added thumbrest

Grand total still <$300.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just goes to show ya-with a little paint and a Dremel you can do anything ;)

13. i may be getting one next week, ive played it but not plugged in so im gonna try it on monday, if i get it it will be modded with a carvin/hipshot bridge, fender custom 60's j bass pups, a p bass pup ive got lying around so its kinda like a stu hamm urge, eventually a warmoth precision replacement neck, maple with ebony board
    [​IMG]
    this bass
    [​IMG]
    this bridge
    [​IMG]
    these pups
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    something along the lines of this neck

14. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Active EMG's

Badass II bridge

Vintage Jbass knobs

TI Flats

Straplock buttons

EIGHTEEN VOLTS!!

Bitchin' "Letter Kills" sticker to top it off

Here's a pic with the Radio Shack knobs

[​IMG] The Bastard Beater :D

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I did something along the lines of Paul A's post, except that I used Sadowsky parts instead of Fenfer.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Heath that's the exact same one I've got. I got it from Music Workshop in West Ryde for $220 Australian.

Here's a pic of my butcher job. It turned out to be a bigger job than I thought it was gonna be. I had to convert the existing input jack into a 4th knob (From top to bottom - Volume, pan, Treble, Bass). Then of course I had to re-position the input jack. This alone involved quite a bit of routing and drilling.

I then had to rout out quite a bit under the chrome plate so I could fit in the pre-amp and electronics. Then I routed out more wood under the pick guard to give the 9V battery a home. Changing the battery proved a big hassle, so I sliced a the pick guard into 2 sections. It didn't look too bad at first, but one hot day changed that by warping the pick guard, making the cut all too obvious.

The bridge pickup didn't quite fit, so I had to do more routing again. I slipped while doing this one and then had to cover my mistake somehow, so I routed a champhored edge around the whole pickup. It's the best I could do...........

All up it's not a bad sounding bass. It's got that fat, woody, traditional passive sound but with the flexibility of acvtive electronics. It's the complete opposite of my Stingray5. Only 4 strings though, so I don't gig it often.

17. I'm probably gonna put Dimarzio Ultra J or Sadowsky J pups in mine. I really like the tone now, but the output is very low. I want to keep a traditional old school sound just with more output and less hum associated with single coils

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ahhh that's what I fortog to mention. The hot signal. It's HOT I tells ya. Set flat, the Alembics are hotter than the stingray's output. Much hotter. And the Stingray aint no slouch...........

19. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    +1

Had an alembic J set, they were hot, hot, hot!! Pretty great sounding tone, as I recall...

20. I just got my Brice V2 fretless and was planning on doing some mods to it, changing out the pups, new bridge, better tuners, etc.
    Now, after having played it, I think all I will do is change out the hardware for a different color (I don't like gold), add some strap locks, and coat the fretboard with polyurathane(sp?) or epoxy. Thats about it though, it just sounds and plays to nice to go messing around with it.