What Is The Most Expensive Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayerEADG, Jan 6, 2006.

1. bassplayerEADG

Jan 29, 2005
    OK everyone. Lets figure out what the most expensive electric bass guitar is. You can brag about your own, or show off your knowledge. [If it is your own, the value is not necessarily what you think your own bass is worth. Please tell us how you arrive at the claimed value.] It can be a custom made, vintage, or standard production. Post a photo if you have one.
  2. I think Les Claypool's Rainbow Bass made by CT is the most expensive.
  3. this should be interesting.

1960 Fender Jazz Bass- Surf Green, $19,000-$23,000
    prices are listed low to high, excellent condition.

source: Vintage Guitar Magazine's Price Guide 2005.

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    You got a price on that les claypool?

I've seen a Conklin doubleneck which I think went for either 32 or 23k.

BTW I think we should discount basses which are expensive because of their vintage status. Thats SO cheating. Let's talk new.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

New would be a full on custom Alembic. I have seen some that listed for well over $11,000.

Conklins are right up there.

Just behind those, I have seen $8,000+ Foderas.

Carl Thompsos start at $6,000 these days, before you add any custom options or exotic woods, well, at least more exotic than Carl normally uses.

But for a custom, the sky is the limit. Pick a high priced, quality builder, pack it to the hilt with custom electronics, inlays, and fancy woods, and you will spend a lot of coin.

But I have seen vintage 60's Jazz basses go for $20K+, and the same for early 50's P basses.
  7. bassplayerEADG

Jan 29, 2005
    Why don't we still do both. When posting just tell us if it is vintage (if not obvious) or if new.
  8. bassplayerEADG

Jan 29, 2005
    My first bass was a mid-1960's Jazz Bass that I bought in 1971 for $175 and sold one year later for the same. I could hang myself. :crying:
  9. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I'd say a Ritter could get right up their. And I've seen vintage Rickenbackers (like the 50's or 60's) Go for over $20,000!
  10. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    I beleive i've seen a Conklin or two go for some pretty serious mulah.
  11. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
  12. Jen's 10th Anniversary Ritter Roya. 24 carat gold plating.

He wants 20,000 Euro for it! :eek:
  13. Wasn't that Super Melted top Conklin 6 string like, $30,000 (You guys knows hich one I'm talking about)?

I'm sure JT's Conklin was well over $20,000, going buy Conklins price list/options and what it would take to build that thing, but I don't think he'll ever tell us...
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That's $24,305.03 in US funds.
  15. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Yea i thinkthat crazy melt was close to that... I'm trying to remember the guy's name that had one made for near 20,000 G's.... hmmm
  16. bassplayerEADG

Jan 29, 2005
    That's not a musical instrument, it is a work of art.
  17. My friend got a brand new Carl Thompson made by Carl for 3500 I think, so they start lower than whatever was said.
  18. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004

One of the most expensive Conklins is still to come, I dunno if the owner is paying the real value of it since he is a regular, but I'm positive it will be a badass. in fact I'm surprised the owner hasn't thrown a teaser by now! ;)