Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the most expensive bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm not talking about a custom made bass by some luthier in Spain who wears a scarf and drives a Ferrari. I'm talking about (generally) made in the US, production'ish type basses.

What's the most expensive, and how much is it?

Skel

2. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    If you are looking at new, I would expect the Alembic Series 2 to be up there as, although hand built, this is a bass that can be found new at Alembic dealers 'off the peg'. I believe the basic cost is $15700 before any custom options are applied, and these can push the cost to well over $20000. Assume after dealer discounts that a Series 2 will still cost around $12000. Can't think of another bass you could walk into a dealer and try before you buy that is more expensive.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Why on earth do they cost so much???

4. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Probably one of the bowed Auerswalds, assuming you're only counting electric bass guitars and not double basses ;)

[​IMG]

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hmmm. I wonder what the SX copy goes for.

Skel

6. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I wish they had one :(

Ed Roman says he'll make you one for significantly less, though. Of course, I'd like to get a quality instrument without hassle :p :D

7. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Well, they are hand made (genuinely) and the series 2 does have the, IMHO, the most versatile and fantastic sounding electronics. Quality of woods and hardware are amongst the very best and attention to detail cannot be faulted. Are they worth the money, I reckon so. If I had the money would I buy one, absolutely.

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I wouldn't play an Alembic even if they gave it to me for free. I would sell it and buy the whole SX/Brice factory in China- all for me!

-Fodera have several model that are part of their regular production line, like the Anthony Jackson Contrabass, and I think that starts at $8K.

-Conklins are pretty up there too.

These are all hand-made, custom basses, but they have "standarized" models that would qualify them as production models, I would think. Is not like you are giving them a piece a paper with the silhouette of the body shape you want.

I don't know, they are just too many expensive luthiers out there.

9. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    For pricier than Alembic, Curbow's got their electric acoustic for $19,995.

Auerswalds, from what I've heard, start at $10k. I recall the bowed ones being in the 30-40k range.

10. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    What's wrong with a scarf?

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I picked out an Alembic Series 2 that priced out at $32,600:eek: !!! Man what a beautiful bass it would be. Cocabola top and back, Tree of Life inlays, Blue Led's... WOW!!!

12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I bet those gold plated Ritters are worth a few dollars...

13. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Substitute the Cocobolo top/back for either Macasar Ebony or Blue Buckeye Burl; then get the 3 ebony neck laminates and it increases to over $35k:help:

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you play an Alembic? I've never *seen* one, much less tried one.

Skel

15. The Alembics mentioned aren't for everybody, and their prices let you know. All in all, it is wood, shaped and glued, with some pickups, just like any other bass, so the casual player wouldn't want or need one of that price. The attention to detail and intricacies involved are what bring the price up. When you purchase a bass like that you're not purchasing a musical instrument. It is a work of art. You can see some of them (like the Roman Conqueror bass which recently sold on ebay) that are in the league of classic priceless painting or sculptures, which is why they cost so much. Why do some paintings cost millions, (after all they are merely canvas and oil paint, or lumps of stone) it's not their components, it is what those components resulted in. Those basses are intended for the people with the money and skill to invest in them, and the people that actually buy them will tell you that they're worth every penny. I wouldn't be able to put one to any better use than my >$1000 basses, so they're not designed for the market I'm in. That's just how I feel.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Alembic, through and through. The prices are ridiculous. I'll admit, the quality is top notch, as good as it gets, but you certainly do pay for the name a bit...Alembic have the most impeccable pedigree of any bass makers!

Bass Surgery basses also go for a huge price, since the guy makes everything himself, even the hardware. I can't remember if the price was $15000 or $30000, I just remember it being ridiculous.

Other lutihers like Fodera, Jerzy Drozd and so on are also very expensive, but they can charge that much as their quality is well known!

AS for the priciest bass for the "man on the street", like the kind of thing you see in the shops every day, and not just in boutique dealer galleries, I guess Warwick are up there. Very pricey basses, and kinda flagging in the bang/buck ratio at the top end imo.

17. some makers just make few very expensive bass models act as production serial but hardly can sell ... for image purpose i think so you shouldn't count them in here

18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Typically, Alembic (whiel being all hand made) are available to anyone right out of the factory making them, by definition a production bass. Without having one custom made, all of the options are srtaight forward for the customer to pick. It makes them sort of a Production Custom. Just like Carvin. You pick the options and they build it. The extreme craftsmanship of the Alembic basses is where there just is no comparison to a Carvin, but the premise is exactly the same!

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Double Basses can easily be 50k upwards!

20. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    $179.00