Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the most important characteristic to consider when buying a new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Tone

86 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. Feel

125 vote(s)
    53.2%
  3. Looks

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Features

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Active/Passive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Electronics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Scale

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Brand name/manufacturer

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  9. Other (specify)

14 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    I have my own opinions on the matter but I'd like to see what people consider the most important. Also make sure to rank your preferences below so I can get an idea what everyone else thinks.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    1) Tone
    2) Ergonomics/Physical Comfort (includes neck size and shape)
    3) Cost
    4) Need (i.e. Do I already have a bass that can do roughly what this can?)

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    The most important thing is how it feels to you as a player. It could be the highest rated bass on the planet but if it feels awkward in your hands it is simply the wrong bass for you.

5. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    Tone, Dont really care what the bass looks like and I could always fix the playability. But I personally can't get a good tone without pretty decent string spacing, big fingers.

6. 1.) Tone
    2.) Feel
    3.) Looks

7. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    1) Feel
    2) Tone/looks (both are equally important to me)
    3) Price (other)

8. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Feel. It doesn't matter how great it sounds if you can't get the right feel for it you'll never be able to play comfortably.

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
  10. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    Feel then Tone. The only two things that really matter.

11. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    Tone (includes active/passive and electronics among other things): with the gear i already own. How versatile is sound of the guitar will it lend it's self at least respectfully to different styles of music. What I'm playing today isnt what I'll be playing tomorrow and Im not into spending $$$$ on collecting a ton of guitars.

Feel (might include scale): def second I can get used to a guitar if I have it in my hands enough. Your first time (like other first times) was probablly awkward with whatever you had in your hands ;)

Cost: coupled with how frequently will I use this particular guitar and for what. My acoustic $300ish solid instrument dont gig with it it's my living room peice. Electrics $1000+ im on stage with them they need to be the best I can swing.

Looks: which may as well include whats written on the headstock (brand etc) im not an image freak but I'm not bringing a Jackson to a jazz gig even if it sounds the part somehow. My performance which includes how I look on stage should be somewhat cohesive with the folks I'm playing with. Maybe I'm shallow.

Other: Can I work on it myself. Is it hard to get parts? etc. something I think about after trying to track down Warwick parts in the US at reasonable prices without waiting two months to get them.

12. SteveC

SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It has to feel good. Everything else is moot if you don't like the feel and want to play it. I have bought and sold many great basses that didn't feel right to me.

13. Neck feel can't be changed or altered (easily).. rest of it can be altered.

14. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
  15. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    What he said. If it sounds good, plays well, and looks great... well, that's what this is all about, right?

16. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
  17. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Feel. Many of the others are equally important. But if the playability and fit to body isnt there. It dont matter how good it sounds or looks, etc.

18. I voted feel as no.1

After GASSING for a Yamaha ATD LTD II for the last 4 years I recently tried one in NYC

And hated it.Really glad I tried it before buying sight unseen as I usually do!

19. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    "Will it get me the chick in front of the stage" should have been an option to select but since it wasn't I went with feel.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. color (i like white)
    2. shiny things
    3. knobs (the more the better)
    4. star shaped body

if i could find something like that, i'd buy it. anyone have any ideas?