1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what is the most important part to assembling a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tomis17, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I agree with most of that. I've worked with basses with laminate bodies but good necks, and adequate electronics - and they sound good. But time and care in putting things together with ADEQUATE parts will yield a good result.

When you have "crap" parts in critical places - say, neck and electronics - you will get a less satisfactory result. But IMO a cheap body, tuners and bridge aren't going to hurt you. (Tuners? All they do is hold the string. If they can be adjusted and don't slip, nothing else is needed.) And I'm NOT convinced that body wood makes enough sound difference that most of us can hear it....and not nearly as much difference as strings and electronics.

2. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    Assuming we are not talking about junker parts and plywood bodies and everything is decent, I'd have to say the set-up. A great set-up can make an OK bass play like a million bucks.

Investment in expensive wood and hardware does NOT mean you are going to wind up with a great instrument. Truth is, you don't really know what you are going to get until it is fully assembled, set up, and ready to go. What seems like a great combination of pricey and/or exotic woods and hardware can turn out to be a nightmare. Conversely, you can buy all reasonably-priced stuff and get a great axe.

3. (sigh) Thats some mighty fine-looking gold hardware on that Jazz bass Mister!

I added some pretty gold Telecaster knobs and gold Dunlop straplocks to my P-bass 'Lyte' recently. Sure is a nice touch to see new gold parts glinting under some stage lights. :p :p

4. what are the basic tools and equip you need to start building bass bodies? a mate of mine has a slab of wood (no idea what sort but its dark in colour) about 2" thick sitting in up the back of his shed its been there for years and ive always pondered about asking him for it to build a bass body from :)

5. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You would at least need a hammer and chizzle. :D I've been tempted to build my own bass from scratch but with the lack of woodworking skills I have, I just don't trust myself. I'm sure it would be rewarding if you could follow through and complete a project like that.

6. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I think the most important part of a build process is having the resources and knowledge to find and use the right tools that will let you get the job done right.

Lonnybass

7. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've put together a bass from new parts (Warmoth, USA Custom, etc.) as well as a couple Frankenjazzes from used parts, and I "restored" an old P-bass (to playability, not to original shape). I tend to agree with just about everything these posts have said, and Pilgrim's here is pretty representative.

90% is neck and pickups. Everthing else makes up the other half. ;) But even if these 'other' parts aren't as critical, there is a minimum quality needed, particularly for the bridge and tuners. I have been suffering with a poorly functioning bridge on a jazz bass.

Patience, precision and accuracy, and more patience will be your best allies during a build. Placement of the bridge and carving the nut (perhaps this is more setup) are key.

8. I've read an article, that a respected lutheir (the name escapes me right now), says that his primary tool, is an old pen-knife:rolleyes:

now THAT man has some serious precision.....and patience:eek:

9. ive even gone as far as thinking about building and selling them! providing i can get slabs of good wood cheap, my idea is/has/was been to build the bodies and then buy either warmoth or generic 4line type p-bass necks and alter the head stocks into 2+2's.

well said! a fine and true statement :)

10. CharlyG

CharlyG ~ he not busy being born Is busy dying.

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    Hope you don't mind, but I'll show you what I am building.

I am having this control panel built, but with an alteration. I am having him add a three way switch in the front! He will use a normal 4 hole jazz control panel.

Attached Files:

11. CharlyG

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.
    Then I will be putting these in. I need to mention, that the bass is in the shop getting the P rout done by a pro.

Attached Files:

12. NYCBass

NYCBass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    I would have to say it's the last part, the nut that plays it.

13. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    For some reason the math just doesn't add up for me. 90% is neck and pickups AND everything else is 1/2??? Isn't that 140%??? :D

Nah, I don't mind. I would even encourage anyone else who is willing to show us what they have up their sleeves. ;)

14. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Definitely the MOJO insertion process, because, as everyone knows, the MOJO insertion tool is extremely difficult to operate and takes a lot of practice to master.

15. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Inactive

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I recommend the Moj-O-Matic+™ with the simple as shizzle Mojo In A Minute™ technology.

16. CharlyG

Jun 11, 2005
    West Hills, Ca.

+1

HAR!

17. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    And if you send $89.95 to me via PayPal, I will send you your very own Moj-O-Matic+™!

;)

18. Both IMO,

example: you have amazing car parts to build a sweet ride, but you dont know how tune the engine once its built......itll still run as long as you have mediocre knowledge of automotive work, but itll never reach 100% unless you know how to tune that engine.

or thats the way I see it.:bassist:

19. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Don't forget the crons.

;)

20. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    You have to assemble it with love. It helps if you have a puppy and maybe some candy and flowers in the room with you.