Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the most majestic bassline ever?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by danqi, Sep 20, 2002.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    This is not about the best, the most groovy, or the most whateverest else bassline. I hope this has not been done before.

2. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Great thread!:D :D :D
    But too easy. The most majestic bassline ever is of course "To Tame A Land" by Iron Maiden. Especially that middle part.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    A remark you made - weather report

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That one from Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet."

5. mccartney on "a day in the life"

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Paul Chambers with (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, James Cobb, Bill Evans and Winton Kelly on the incomparable song "So What" from "Kind of Blue."

7. I'll second that.

8. Orion - Cliff Burton

One - Creed

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Kevin Ayers - "Dr. Dream Theme" from Confessions of Dr. Dream.....

10. Roger Glover - Deep Purple's "Lazy". Best piece of rock and roll bass there is.

'specially if you get if off the "Made in Japan" album.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Maybe - but not what I would call "Majestic". A lot of the other responses seem to be just saying what they think is the "best" rather than answering the original question.

So my dictionary says :

: having or exhibiting majesty : STATELY
    synonym see GRAND.

Now I can see that applies to Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet - but not to Lazy which is more "frenetic" and "lively"?

12. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I just saw Deep Purple live last night, and I have to agree. They did Lazy, and Roger was AWESOME..so was the rest of the band for that matter. Roger played what looked like a Sadowsky for a couple of numbers, then switched to a black Precision for the rest of the evening, including for Lazy. Played it through FOUR Ampeg 8x10"s....whoa! It cut through beautifully and was growling like mad.

13. Bruce said...

Maybe - but not what I would call "Majestic". A lot of the other responses seem to be just saying what they think is the "best" rather than answering the original question.

So my dictionary says :

: having or exhibiting majesty : STATELY
    synonym see GRAND.

Now I can see that applies to Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet - but not to Lazy which is more "frenetic" and "lively"?

We disagree - but that's okay. One of the definitions of "majestic" is "with authority". IMO "Lazy" fits.

But - I'm certainly willing to lose this argument. Wouldn't be the first time I've lost one today - and it's not even 9am here :)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Not in my dictionary - that could apply to anything - majestic is definitely stately, slow with a sense of grandeur.

Otherwise this thread just becomes yet another - best bassline one and we've had more than enough of those! :rolleyes:

15. Okay, Bruce - you win.

:D

16. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks - so I looked up some more synonyms - has anybody got any bass lines that are :

august, grandiose, imposing, lordly, magnific, magnificent, noble, princely, stately
    Related Word courtly, dignified; ceremonious; imperial

kinglike, monarchal, monarchial, monarchical, regal, royal, sovereign

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    How about Bon Jovi "Livin' On A Prayer" that's a pretty darn "majestic" sounding line to me, particularly when the key change kicks in.

18. Bruce Lindfield

I give up!!! :rolleyes:

19. Oh, good. Then I win.

20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Tool - Disposition