What is the most out there effect you would actually use in your rig?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PaisleyPBass, May 15, 2022.

1. PaisleyPBass

PaisleyPBass

May 12, 2022
    My most out there pedal I'd actually use regularly is probably the Demodash tape echo. Or maybe a Count To Five. But I can totally see a context where I have an MZ-2 feeding into a acoustic sim and a tremolo pedal. Just to make something noisy and a little unnerving

How about you all?

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    Killing Floor likes this.
  2. probably the most I go is a green miff into octave fuzz into wah… I really like to hold down the bottom end in my band and was worried it would make the bass drop out but my guitarist said it was like chaotic noise just shifting up a bit and didn’t destroy the mix in a good way!
    That and distortion plus chorus into fully wet reverb for intros… I tried synth pedals to do the same thing but either too hard or too many cons to the sound / feel to get it how I wanted

3. For me currently the more out there the better as my current money gigs are composing for a sci fi cartoon series or uploading sound effect samples. If any of my current recording projects move into the live realm I will certainly incorporate some of those soundz if for no other reason than to annoy the various guitar slingers and possible synthesists.
    IMG_20220510_160731464_HDR.jpg

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Future Impact. Use it on every gig.

Woo Fonk, 6-3-2 and bassbrad like this.
  5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    For me, it's the C4 in combo with MIDI controller and Expression pedal.
    This gang can produce some serious amounts of ***?!.

jam.majors, Woo Fonk, 6-3-2 and 2 others like this.
  6. The Source Audio Ultrawave and C4 Synth/Spectrum combination are giving me a lot of phun theze daze creating sounds in my head as well as taking abstract ideas and creating those sounds, just look at some of my shared sounds of late for that sort of madness, just today I created and shared Fifty Foot Woman's Flute (Never Satisfied) for the C4.

armybass and Woo Fonk like this.
  7. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I have yet to meet an effect that is so "out there" that I wouldn't use it in my rig!

Current rig(s)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not shown:
    - Chase Bliss Audio Blooper
    - Chase Bliss Audio Habit
    - Soma COSMOS

8. zoomafoob. the double frangalang version.

geeza and 220_Hz like this.
  9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Holland, MI
    Had a Randy's Revenge ring mod for a few weeks, which was sweet, but not a fit for my current gig at all. But I'd get another if I were in a weirder band.

Right now the outer limits are pretty close in — octave, dirt, filter, and modulation is plenty, and actually overkill if I'm being an essentialist.

10. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014

The Vitruvian Mod — It's a ringa-ding-dinga. Incorporates a Commodore 64 chip and is my begrudging homage to the madness of the age. Mind you, when it's tamed down, medicated just right, it's another voice adding color to any caper. Really sweet with some envelope and some fuzz, for example. Maybe, with summit Afterneath — another contender.​

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  11. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    The C4 and UltraWave make the craziest sounds, and I use them all the time. In all fairness, I also am looking for the most musical of crazy sounds within them, not bleeps and blorps for my fictional sci-fi musical. So, I have yet to engage the ring modulator on the UW, and am not likely to do so. But the sounds are ones that would have gotten me booted from my classic rock cover bands, but my jambandmates thought were getting close to Mike Gordon sounds. Which is the intention given some of the are for Phish songs. So, one band's idea of crazy sounds is totally acceptable in another band that may play some of the same songs, just slightly lengthier versions.

The pedal that seemed to be a bridge too far was the EQD Rainbow Machine. Had it for maybe 10 days, had 6 gigs in those days, and tried it twice in soundcheck, never deployed live, even with multiple ripe opportunities for its musical madness. So, back it went. The Moog Bass MuRF is also a practitioner and producer of odd sounds, and I used it heavily in more than one song. It helped thicken up Run Like Hell, for instance.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    C4 sometimes. Grease Juicer a lot of the time (fuzzy filter).
    And yeah!!! The T120 is my favorite delay. I love it! I mostly play clean with a little compression but I do use effects for effect. The warbled chorus on the T120 is awesome.

13. I was curious so I took a look. I have never once in my life used a pedal. I have no idea what you folks are talking about. It's like a whole different language! My goodness.

theunknowndude and Whale guy like this.
  14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Probably the MXR Reverb on spatial or whatever they called it. Used for the intro of one song, but a synth would have been better.

armybass likes this.
  15. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2022
    VA
    Delay, reverb and phaser are as wild as I get. I’d eventually like to start dabbling with some synth stuff though.

16. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    An preamp+octave+compressor. I am a wild man.

GeneralElectric likes this.
  17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    As a gigging bassist in moderately successful bands my live rig is usually overdrive, compressor, high pass filter tuner. Sometimes a preamp. If I want to get crazy I’ll use an octave or fuzz pedal.

I own tons of types of effects and they’re fun to play with at home but not at a gig. Most folks want the bass to “bass” in a live setting. As an example I love making my bass sound like a synth, but in all the bands where that would be appropriate, there is a keys player.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I love weird effects but have no use for them. Fuzz is about as weird as I get.

theunknowndude likes this.
  19. Whale guy

Whale guy

Jul 12, 2018
    We play old music. All I have ever used is a chorus pedal. I have tried many, but just like the old sound of my P bass better when it is clean.

20. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    I have the earlier ID10t version

5StringBlues likes this.