Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the most recorded bass in history?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Probably a dumb question, but is the Fender Precision the most recorded bass guitar in history? I assume it is, and the Fender Jazz is in 2nd place?

Thanks - Skel

2. I'm going to say Fender P takes the cake. And as far as second...ima say Either Fender Jazz or the Stingray.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Osama - that is funny man! What *sucks*?

Skel

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

To paraphrase "Standing in the Shadows of Motown: The Movie": The Fender Precision bass has been recorded on more #1 hits than the Beatles, Beach Boys, and Elvis combined. :p

Seriously: the P-bass was #1 by a mile for many years, but I'm not sure if it's still true. Most players these days seem to be going J-style.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    P's are making a comeback these days. So I'd say its position at the top is still safe.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Depends on what you mean by "recorded" -- if you're talking about major #1 hits, it's probably the Fender P. If you're talking "recorded" as in on any CD, it's probably the Fender Jazz, because there are many times more recordings produced now than there were even 10 or 15 years ago, and Fender Jazzes outsell Fender Ps by a fair number, IIRC.

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Fenders basses, in general, is your answer

Rob

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    There's a reason for this, but I forget what it is...

...oh yeah, it's because you really have work at it to make them sound bad in a track.

9. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    hi

Exactly

Rob

10. From the beginning of recorded music, I would have to say that the 4 string Upright probably wins it, right?

Everytime an orchestra recorded, add in 4-5 uprights per composition. All old jazz records, etc. etc......................Uprights....

11. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Question was most recorded bass guitar :)

Rob

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'd say Fender P by far... every decent studio has one.

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1

nuff said.
    -Bazz-

14. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Fender P-bass, no doubt about it.

15. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

More than likely a P through an Ampeg B15.

16. + 1,000,000 for the Precision

17. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Basses designed by Leo Fender are the most recorded, played, and copied basses ... period. As far as what model, probably the P bass.

18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I'd bet on the P Bass. I know I have used one aton to do recordings in the past.

19. big mike... you use a P bass to record? good thing... you wouldn't want to lay down any tracks with that crappy sadowsky of yours. ;) :D

20. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    :D :D now don't get him started I just read four pages of bla bla bla just a little while ago that's why I find this funny.

but what's a P Bass?