What is the name of this instrument??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RiseOfTheWooten, Mar 10, 2006.

1. I'm trying to do a google search for it but have no idea where to begin because I don't know what they're called.

It's one of those things with a keyboard on it, maybe 2 octaves, you blow into one end and play the keys. It kinda sounds like an accordion.

Anyone know what they're called? I remember they used to have them back when I was in primary school.
  2. haha thanks, that's it!

I realised I never knew what they were called even though they were everywhere years ago at school. I'm kinda thinking of getting one just to have a play.
  3. You're very welcome.

Enjoy it if you get one. Fagen virtually makes his "talk".:)
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I just saw G-Love playing that yesterday on the Jack Johnson DVD I was watching.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Augustus Pablo. Possibly the most famous melodica player.
  6. I think Jack Johnson's bass player has a pretty damn good gig. The bass lines are simple, everything's laid back, don't even have to break a sweat throughout the gig.
  7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    While melodica is the actual, official name of this instrument, there are many nicknames for it. One of my favorites was the name of a band in the eighties, who named themselves after the melodica that one of their members occasionally played.

They called themselves the Hooters. And, somewhat obviously, referred to this instrument as a 'hooter.'
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The album the Hooters released was actually quite good,
    if I recall.

I also think some members of that band collaborated on
    Cyndi Lauper's first release, 'She's So Unusual', which
    I also thought was done well.

'Hooterist' Rob Hyman and guitarist Eric Bazilian also
    co-wrote and arranged most of Joan Osborne's
    debut release 'Relish'. About 1995 iirc.

The Hooters as a band faded after their first Columbia
    release 'Nervous Night' in 1985.