Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the new Stu Hamm album like?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexssandro, Sep 8, 2000.

1. I'm curious about "Outbound." I've read the reviews, but I'd also like to know what you guys think of it. It's been a really long time since he's done anything new, and I'm curious to see how he has evolved. I suppose I'll end up answering my question with $18 at Tower, but I also wanted to hear everyone's opinions. Anything new technically? Higher level of composition like the reviews say? Good bass sound?

Thanks

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Certainly more melodic than the previous releases. Some of the melodies resemble Satriani's work, others are in the MOR fusion vein, eg. Gerald Veasley, Jimmy Haslip. There's some scary tapping on "Tenacity" and some equally scary finger funk on "Castro Hustle," but for the most part it's laid back and not technique-centered. Great recorded bass tone, less clacky-sounding than the previous releases. Not sure if this is due to the production or the new Urge IIs. No vocals, thank God.