Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the next step up from a zoom 506II?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by A Rock, Mar 19, 2002.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i bought the zoom 506II cuz it was the cheapest multieffects pedal out. its alright...a lil cheezy sounding.

i wanted to know what ur suggestions would be for a new higher quality multifx pedal...but not toooo expesive;)

2. MultiFX + quality in 1 phrase ? :eek: you're got guts dude :D

best thing to do is use the zoom to see what effects you like, and then go get their analogue successors :)

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I like the Digitech BP200. It's quality stuff in my opinion, but some of the factory presets are cheesy.

4. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Yeah, like AllodoX says. Get individual analogue units of the effects you like. Tone is better, you have more control (over setup and placement). If you dont like one of the effects you can swap them for a better quality one.

It's taken me less than a year to build up my formidable arsenal of stompboxes (see "post your effects chain") AND I've got three more on the way (stupid ebay, stupid credit card). The only danger is, you might not know when to stop!

"One MorE StOMpBoX!!!!!!!!!!!!"

5. Festus

Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    I would say the next best thing to a Zoom 506II is probably a volume pedal :D

6. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    well doesnt getting a bunch of analog pedal take quite a bit of money??

how do u use analogs...dont u need to press a lot of them at the same time. doesnt it get confusing?
    and do u leave them all the same settings?

7. It can get pricey but the amazing quality you get is well worth it. The best part about analog devices is everything is firing up in reality, not like with digital where it's all happening in a little black box (excuse me if that sounded ignorant.) Simply enough you lose less of your sound with analog effects.

Yes you do need to do some tap dancing if you're using 500 different pedals at once (speaking a strictly rhetorical sense), but normally when I use effects I step on one or two at the same time. I never use all of them at once, there's a difference between being creative with effects and just being silly.

Yes and no on the confusion, with most setups that evolve simple pedals you just chain them together. It just boils down to which combination you want them in and how they're set.

Most often in live situations you or someone else would change the settings in-between songs. Which goes back to the confusion factor, memorizing your favorite settings, I personally put a post-it on each of my pedals so I can dial in the settings accurately.

8. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i like using a flanger, delay/echo, and pitch shifter,
    but use em in different combinations and different frequencies and depth.

do u guys think this is too many effects to keep track of analogly(i don't think this is an actual work:) ) or no?

9. no, infact you have room for even more...

10. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    but hes a guitarist lol.

i wish that site had a justin chancellor set up chart.

11. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    THANKS>>ANALOG IT IS!!

12. We've saved another one.:rolleyes: