1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the perfect cab size for jamming with drummer and guitarist??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bchamorro, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Mesa Powerhouse 4x10

24 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Mesa Powerhouse 6x10

22 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Mesa Powerhouse 8x10

17 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    What is the perfect cab size for jamming with a drummer and with guitarist with a 100W tube half stack?

nothing miked

Genre: modern hard rock/metal (think Tool, Alter Bridge)
    Picked bass and finger bass
    Pumping 750 watts at 4 ohms

Enough that it will fill things up nicely.

I'd get an 8x10, but sometimes I think it might be unnecessary?

So out of these choices only:

4x10, 6x10, 8x10

2. For jamming only? The 6x10. But if your going to be giggin then the 4x10 for portability reasons.

3. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Yes for jamming only. It will sit in my rehearsal/home studio room every day of the year.

4. xanderjbass

xanderjbass

Jul 19, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Since the tone will be about the same for all, it seems like you are just wondering about volume. In which case, I cant imagine a 4x10 (which handles 600W) would not be loud enough.

5. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I voted 8x10, cause it's the same size as my brand new Powerhouse 4x12.
    I would still vote that way. The 8x10 gives you that special height/closer to ear level. You will hear yourself no matter what the other guy/girl turns their amps up to. 750 watts at that height rocks:bassist:
    I believe it's better to feel chest thump and leg thump over just leg thump...but I ramble.

Oh yeah: ear plugs and stuff, too.:bassist:

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i've owned all 3 of those size cabs. just get the 410.

7. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    if you have the big block 750.. i will say that it sounds best running at 2 ohms...

i used to run it with a powerhouse cab and a 6x10.. it was incredible,,,

i have a 6x10 i will sell cheap..

it has a blown speaker... but i will sell it at a big discount price..

i live in GA though..

8. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Out of those, I would choose the 410, but I would add a 115 or get the 1200 instead.

9. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    None. I would go with the the thousand series, I just love having at least a 15 in the mix. :)

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I find a 2x10 is enough for a basement jam.

I use 1 4x10 for most gigs. Unless it is a huge room or a large outdoor gig.. then I might add a 2x10 or a 1x15 to the 4x10. I use a 300W tube head also so I am moving a lot of air with just a 4x10.

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If that's the case...portability won't play an issues for everyone thinking only the 4x10. I've never personally felt that a 4x10 was loud enough for me without sound reinforcement. 6x10 is right on the cusp of what's acceptable for me. I play a 5 string, so how well the 10"s handle the transients & the low end displacement of the B string matters to me. When I used to only run 1 4x10, I would actually blow speakers and have to buy replacements. Finally when, I bought a second 4x10, I stopped having that problem. It seems to me, having the extra height and speaker surface area, allows you to keep the volume lower on your amp. You don't have to drive your amp/cab as hard to still be heard. So I say get the 8x10 or at least the 6x10. You'll get it to your spot and leave it there. To me, having more speakers at your disposal conserves the life of those speakers, especially if you are playing loud. Do you absolutely need it? That's probably up to you...you know how loud your drummer and guitarist are. For all the bands that I've been in (with exception of the jazz combo), I've always found that I like nothing less than an 8x10 in the practice spot or in the gigging arena.

Note: While I don't play exactly the same music, it's similar enough to compare in terms of volume. I'm competing with two 4x12 100Watt halfstacks. And a drummer who's obsessed with TOOL.