1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the point of having humbucker in bridge and singlecoil midle?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by odin70, May 21, 2012.

1. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    To me it makes more sense to have singlecoil in bridge position and humbucker in midle/neck position. Anyone?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    [​IMG]

3. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    That looks nice mmbongo :)

4. You're being totally vague. Specific info must be provided before the topic can be pondered.

5. Single coil is thought to sound brighter than humbuckers.
    Bridge pickups are thought to sound brighter than neck pickups.

Therefore, if we want everything to go to 11, the bridge pickup should be single coil and the neck pickup a humbucker.

6. The typical issue with J and MM pairings is the difference of output and output impedance between the two pickups. This is especially true when the J is used at the bridge position, where the strings do not vibrate as much as they do at the neck position. An overwound J and underwound MM pairing would be preferable.

7. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    My experience is that the tone of a true single coil doesn't blend well with a humbucker. I think what you've got in the picture here, as well in most of these J/MM set ups is a side-by-side humbucker paired with an in-line split coil. Not that it's impossible to pair the two, just not common. In-line splits look just like actual singles. The two sound very different to my ear.

8. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I think some bass players spend to much time thinking about what "makes sense" and not enough time just playing basses and seeing if they sound good ...

9. I'm interested to hear what this sounds like.

0148600523_frt_wmd_001.jpg

10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    IF the 'bucker is really darker than the SC, then it would balance the brightness difference between positions.

Now my Laklands (which arguably popularized the design) has not a Brucker/SC but rather three sets of sude-by-side buckers. And they're quite nicely balanced.

John

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Fuller sound for bridge pup as humbucker to avoid the more trebly single coil sound there. J type pup for bridge for more articulate voice then average P pup.

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I usually have my double buck pickups set to the way out described: bridge single coil and a tiny bit of humbucker in series at the neck blended in.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You got that right. The reason they make different basses is because not everyone has the same tastes. So don't worry about it and keep your eyes on your own paper.