Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the production date of my Fender Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mtnckr, Aug 19, 2005.

1. mtnckr

mtnckr

Jun 30, 2005
    Europe
    Hi everyone;
    I just bought a great all original U.S. made Fender jazz bass. It has a pair of white pickups and knobs. Its pickguard is also one piece, I mean it is lying under the knobs of the bass. I checked the serial number but can not find the exact date. As far as I know it should be '80-'84 but previous owner said that although the serial no starts with "E" it was '78.
    Serial number starts with E and then there is a gap and serial no has 5 digits. I checked product date sites but cannot find such a definition. Neckplate has square shape and no serial number on neckplate. Just Fender logo (not F logo) is written. All E series has a number next to it, but mine has not. It is like that " E 32xxx ".
    Can anyone help me about it please.
    Thanks;
    Metin

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Fender is notorious for doing wierd stuff with their serial numbers, however, unless I'm mistaken (and I can easily be wrong here :( ) the E designation indicates MIJ, not MIA, should be from the mid-80's (84 to 87, I think).

Check here for more info http://www.noexcusesguides.com/serialnos/fenderbass.htm

Plus there are tons of guys here on TB with a lot more knowledge about this than me .........

3. mtnckr

mtnckr

Jun 30, 2005
    Europe
    In the headstock right of the Fender logo it is written "Made In U.S.A."
    I checked several sites like that but could not find exact information. There are a lot of serial numbers which starts with "E" generally reflects that "eighties". But the problem is I could not found a serail number identification like mine.Mine is "E 32xxx" In other words "E +5 digits".

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, that does seem out of sync with most of the Fender numbering system. Sounds like you've probably reviewed this site, but if not, here's a little more info. Apparently the E designation was also MIA, contrary to my previous thought ...

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html#serial

Like I said, several players here are pretty deep into Fender-esque trivia, hopefully one of them can help you out :cool:

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Gennerally, the E is for eighties and the next tells you the year so E 3xxx=1983.

IIRC, that was the transition period when CBS sold Fender to the current owners (I think). The bass could be made from left over parts from the late 70's and the bass might of been built in 1985.

Your best bet is to take off the neck and see if there are any date stamps on the neck heel and neck pocket.

6. mtnckr

mtnckr

Jun 30, 2005
    Europe
    Hi;
    Thanks for your replies.
    I just checked the neck and body date. Neck date is 03 May 1984 but in the body I really couldn't read what is written. I took the photo of it. If anyone interest about it, I can send him via mail or MSN Messenger. I really wonder what is the body date.
    Or can anyone tell me the official mail address of fender that I can get reliable information about it. Thank you;
    Metin

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    email tim@tplyons.com, I'll post the pictures here for ya.

On the other hand, sounds like an '83 by serial, the neck is obviously an '84. On the other hand, what about looking at the underside of the potentiometers? They usually have a date code on them.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    A '78 would have a three-bolt neck plate.

White pickups, truss rod adjustment at body: 1981-1983.

White pickups, one piece pickguard, truss rod adjustment at headstock: 1983-1985.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup.

Early eighties.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No it wouldn't. Up to '75, I think, but I know for sure my '78 NEVER had a 3-bolt.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    3 bolt necks started approx 1974 and continued until approx 1981. 3 bolts "up to '75" is definitely wrong.
    Perhaps some '78s had 4 bolts?

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You got me, double checked. I was thinking Precision, it was only the Tele and Jazz that had 3-bolts.

13. mtnckr

mtnckr

Jun 30, 2005
    Europe
    Hello from Turkey;
    I took the photos of the body but nothing can be read. Although ı check the potantiometers I could not see any code. There was just numbers shows that wwhat k.ohm of them.
    Anyway I admit that my bass is '84. Again thank you everybody for your help.
    Metin