1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the purpose of a "ramp?"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eminor3rd, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I've heard people speak of the ramp in between the pickups of high end basses with a lot of excitement and delight, but have no idea what purpose they serve. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Stops you from digging in too much, and gives you extra places to rest your thumb.

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Thanks

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Nadda bother dude! :)

5. Fancy thumbrest is about it. Some people call them training wheels.:smug:

6. it is a more effective alternative to stairs when moving an object from a lower area to a higher area.

7. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    they let you play faster, but they restrict you to soft-touch playing. i personally would never ever buy a bass with a ramp on it. i feel like you loose dynamics, you cant dig in real deep and get that powerfull sound.

my 2 cents.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I have one bass with a ramp, and I've got to disagree with the idea that you can't get a powerful sound. But then, I'd never use the bass I have it on for really agressive playing, either.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's really nothing like a thumbrest, although you can use a ramp for one. Some people also call lines on a fretless training wheels. Gary Willis uses them both and can outplay anyone making "training wheels" comments 10 times over ;)

That's a common (incorrect) assumption. You can pluck extremely hard with a ramp, and your dynamics aren't limited. Look at the pros who use them and you'll find some of the most dynamic players in the world.

For anyone wanting more info on ramps, go here:
    http://www.bryanrtylermusic.com/ramps.html

10. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    proove it...

oh wait :bag:

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Ok :D

Although she's also sporting a GK2 for the V-Bass now...

12. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sierra's
    Gary Willis instructional videos are on youtube where he explains why he used? or uses one. When Todd Johnson taught at BassQuake last year he advocated for them too.
    Some pretty great players there.
    I'll post a link if I find one. Never tried one. Maybe more suited to jazz players than slappers etc?

13. I'm not particularly fond of ramps, I think they take away from the basses appearance, IMO.:smug:

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree- they usually do. The extra playability they offer always greatly outweighs it for me though.

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Plexi ramps perhaps?

16. Conklin has done that a few times.

17. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    LOL :p, but yeah. They're just fancy thumbrests. Actually, they have had them on some bassists I've used in local shops and they do stop me from tearing into the poles with the strings.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Where are people getting this notion that a ramp is a "fancy thumbrest" from? :D