Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the purpose of an Ash two piece body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 6, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been noticing more and more two piece ash body for basses, why can they just use one piece of ash to make a whole body?.Thanks

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    smaller peices are cheaper and more readily avail I'd assume.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Because finding a piece that's big enough without blemishes is hard, it translates into higher cost (have to reject more wood to find a good piece).

Cheaper to glue two smaller pieces together and use the really ugly pieces for basses that will have opaque finishes.

In the 70s many Fenders had 3 piece bodies.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh....my 76 fretless P Bass is a five piece body. And, it got a natural finish.

Sounds great, though. :bassist:

5. Single pieces of large flatsawn wood can and often do experience warp problems across the width.

When a clear finish is to be used the 2 pieces are matched in what is called a "best match" method

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In addition to others' fine comments here - Are we talking about the same types of ash being used in a single instrument??? e.g., swamp ash, Northern ash, or (insert specie type here) ash.

Fr'instance, an Asian mass produced factory guitar should be checked for weight, and openness of grain if the finish allows. Ash used at the big Asian factories, like Samick, has a higher ratio of poor pieces than with smaller boutique builders, or other US builders, probably because it is a US wood...(as in "more expense").

7. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    what hambone said :)

many builders use a two-piece approach :D :D

my tom anderson, suhr strat, sadowsky MM, somebody stop me.... are all two-piece bodies and these are some mighty fine geeetars!
    :hyper: :hyper:

Extree pieces doesn't necessarily mean bad or cheap quality ..

8. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    uses 2 pices of ash or walnut becuase (dont know whats diferent about them) one is for the higher strings, and one for the lower. lower notes sound better on heaveir peice or something. i have no clue whats the difernce between the high and the low but thats what i heard

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very interesting, thanks guys.

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    My next bass will probably be built out of one peice of ash, if possible. However, my current one is made from two peices and sounds pretty nice.