1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the purpose of fret markers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TexasEdition, Nov 7, 2019.

1. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    I don't see the point in having invisible markers on your fretboard ... Fender-Jazz-Bass-1977-Black-Maple-Neck-04.

2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The fret markers on my bass are hex bolts. They attach the fretboard to the neck.
    8B26F5D2-DCCD-4045-9E3C-C588EA5C7F7E.

equill, EmuBass and Vinny_G like this.
  3. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    My birdsong has no markers on the fretboard, its not a problem as you dont really look at the fretboard when you play.

4. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    [​IMG]

B-Mac and equill like this.
  5. Now that's metal!

...what? Somebody had to say it.

Vinny_G likes this.
  6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Aren’t we supposed to use our ears? I mean you only start the song live in the wrong place once. :)

7. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    There are purists, I would assume, who would insist that a starter on a car is not necessary when all you need is a crank. Aren't we supposed to use our muscles to start our car? We can certainly do without many things in life. But I don't see the point. Now if you don't like fretboard position markers for aesthetic reasons, fine (I have a bass with no markers), but to come across with this "roughing it" thing or "purist thing" is nonsense. Y'all are starting to sound like classical guitarists. :eek:

(Classical guitarist [n]: A guitarist who assumes himself/herself to be a deity/gift to humanity, and who goes on and on about things like having side dot markers being akin to worshiping Satan or that you either put that damn thumb on the back of the neck in the proper position like a civilized human being or I'm going to cut your thumb off! And SIT UP STRAIGHT and dignified, damn it!!!!)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Vinny_G likes this.
  8. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    You may ask yourself.....

B-Mac and Vinny_G like this.
  9. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    It's strange, I have exactly the same definition in my dictionary, but at the entry "Jazz guitarist". :smug:

Christcr likes this.
  10. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Ha... yes, I think that definition could be used interchangeably.

11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Sorry to derail with a serious, on-topic reply (;))...

Here’s what Wikipedia has to say (so you know it’s true!):

Marker dots (see Inlay (guitar)) on the face of the fretboard are usually placed at frets 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 (double dot to indicate the octave), 15, 17, 19, 21, 24 (double dot to indicate the second octave). It's also common that there are marker dots on the "upper" side of the neck, near the edge of the fretboard, where the player can easily see which fret he or she is on. Sometimes the dots are replaced with bars, the octave positions having a wider bar. Classical guitars almost never feature position markers, especially on the fretboard's face, whereas electric guitars usually do. This is due to several factors:

1) Electric guitars do not rely on a resonating body chamber to produce sound and therefore the inert bodywood may be carved more deeply to allow better access to higher frets.

2) Electric guitars also sport an extended high-end range, due to the above reason. Typically, up to 24 frets are used.

3) Electric guitars vary greatly in terms of scale length, depth of lower and - if present - upper rout and where these connect to the neck at its heel, and number of frets (usually between 21 and 24). In contrast, classical guitar dimensions are standardised, with the 12th fret aligning with the neck-end of the body, use of only 19 frets, and scale length of 25.6".

While it may be perceived that position markers are featured on popular instruments to accommodate their typically lesser-educated users (in contrast to classical instruments), on the contrary, for the above reasons, position markers are of much help to electric guitarists of any level of competence.

gebass6 and B-Mac like this.
  12. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Jimmy42007. irene_halffretless. anthony1. John Patitucci. the_bass_player_by_bardunor-deviantart.

equill, Bryan R. Tyler, B-Mac and 2 others like this.
  13. What he meant to say was that you don't need to look if you never play past the 5th fret.

equill likes this.
  14. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Position markers are merely the bread crumbs which will allow you to find your way back home through the dark, musical forest from the sinister cabin of the Wicked Witch.

Metaphorically speaking, of course...

equill likes this.
  15. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    I didn't want to use the same exact word in a mere two sentences? Perhaps it is something we should ponder for a bit :)

catcauphonic likes this.
  16. Tori2013

Tori2013

Aug 28, 2015
    One good reason to play a 5 string bass :D Throws em off!

catcauphonic likes this.
  17. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    This is called, "having your mwah and eating it"...

gebass6 and catcauphonic like this.
  18. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

To mark the frets, hence the name...

equill likes this.
  19. B-Mac

Django!

Vinny_G likes this.
  20. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    I wonder if this was the inspiration behind the Ibanez SRAS7.

21. B-Mac

...my god...what have I done...

equill likes this.