Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the purpose of...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBaron, Nov 3, 2004.

1. TheBaron

TheBaron

Nov 1, 2004
    ...the pick up covers on some fender jazz basses, to me it seems like they just get in the way, please feel free to correct my ingorance :)

Also, im buying a new bass soon (to go with my lovely new rig :)) and im thinking of getting a fender jazz geddy lee signature model because it looks so damn sexy and i like the growl he gets, what do you guys reckon?.

Rich :ninja:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think they were to shield the pups against things that cause hum or something, just a guess.

But the Geddy Lee jazz is awesome, my personal favorite fender bass. It is outstandingly built and sounds great.

3. I don't know what the purpose is or was. It may have something to do with increasing the magnetic field and, therefore, energy transmitted through the pup.

But who cares? They look sooo cool and I want one on my five string. Now the ashtray, well I don't know what that was for but it looks cool.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I think they were there to impede your playing.

5. The neck pickup cover might be to shield from interference or even dust and stuff, as well as to increase the output a la old Rickenbackers. Your guess is as good as mine. The bridge cover used to have string mutes in the early 60s, which were soon removed.

6. TheBaron

TheBaron

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah the shielding option would make sense but i reckon they were to just make them look more badass!. I'm going to NY in january (im from Wales, UK) so if anyone would care to recommend any awesome bass stores i should visit, preferably one where i can pick up a geddy lee for quite cheap as the cheapest i can find over here is £799 (around $1400) but to be honest i think ill just be bringing an old shell of a bass over in a hardcase, ditching it and bringing one of those bad boys back!

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The bridge cover original housed the string mutes. The pickup cover, according to my Fender books, was purely decorative.

Dan

8. As one who bought one new (LPB Jazz) in 1964 (old guy), MHO is that those chrome covers were there for looks (maybe some shielding). Hey, those were the 50's and 60's and all the cars had chrome for styling! In those days, styling was based a lot on cars (Fender custom colors were originally car paint). Check out the old transistor radios from the 60's .. a lot of them have car visuals (like the fins from a 1959/60 chevy impala or the "V" sign from the "hot" V8 engines).....

Everyone played them with the covers on in those days (Jamerson kept them on, I think). Marcus Miller keeps his neck cover on.

Harlan

9. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Guitar Center locally has dropped the price of the Geddy Lee from $629 to $599. You'll save a mint buying in the States, that is for sure!

I have one and it is a great guitar. When I went shopping for a Made in USA Fender, I came across the Geddy Lee. I was only going to buy a USA model, so what did I buy? The Geddy Lee, on pure looks, the slim neck and build quality. The guitar plays like butter!

I have since picked up a MIA Precision, but the Geddy is right up there with it in quality. You can't go wrong with the Japanese made Fenders.

Andrew

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    On his website, Roger Sadowsky has the following:

11. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    I use them, and I love them. They look great, and make excellent thumb/handrests

12. TheBaron

TheBaron

Nov 1, 2004
    Cool cheers for the help guys, $599?! wow! I might buy two and sell one on ebay over here! that should mean i get a free bass!. This music store you speak of do they have a shop in NY?

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    The bridge "ashtray" held the mute, the pickup cover was a handrest. If you'll note the location of the scratchplate on an old Fender bass, you were meant to play near the neck, with your fingers on the finger rest and hand on hand rest.