1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the purposes of all these club thingies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackened Soul, May 15, 2011.

1. I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member...

2. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    So you can feel like your P or J bass is actually special.

(Like mine)

:)

3. I join for the frequent flier miles.

4. I get a free car and a mustache for 30 years membership to the broke bassist club!

5. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass Blackened Soul

Some people have the need to feel like they belong (into something, anything), and a piece of posession or way of thinking seems to be as good a reason as any. If they can't join one that's to their liking, they'll start one.

I think I was given club #'s when I accidentally posted on some sacred club threads, but quite frankly, I'm in the "couldn't give a flying dookie about 'em" club ;).

The clubs are not something that just thrive on the internet, but given the total anonymity, and the sheer number of individuals around, it's way easier to form a club on the 'net than it is in the real life. And one can have 100 aliases to ones name in their 'net club so the numbers do not look that lame.

Unless You haven't noticed, the RUBs (Rich Urban Bikers) like to form a club whenever two of them meet, the prime example of unisex mating ritual. In no time that club is either torn apart when one or the other finds a better partner to form a club, tears his/her patch off in a fit of rage, burns it, and declares war to the other member, or their club just merges with another club (that has now 100% more members than an average one does).

Regards
    Sam

6. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Clubs are pointless. Come on. We all know it. They are just a way to brag about what gear you have on the interweb so that your e-penis may seem a bit larger. No real point. I want to start an Effects Haters club because I don't get effects on bass. They sound like crap IMO and the tone is all in the knuckle bones. Everyone knows that.

Where is the "fap" emoticon?

7. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i want to see a "schlick" icon so our Ladies Of The Thicker String are included too.

clubs seem a tad asinine to me too. i've even seen some mods talk about how silly they are.

8. Eh, clubs are a bit of fun where peoplw with the same bass/amp/playing style/whatever can get together and chat. There's even a club for people who play their bass naked (for some reason).

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Club threads are good for gleaning information. I'm a member of a few,...I just don't advertise it. ;)

10. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    There are clubs for people that enjoy a particular brand (or model) of bass. There's quite a variety, already...

However, you won't find the 'joiner' mentality on TB, no, never! ;)

11. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    Humans are pack animals....it's a scary place alone

12. +1

I find them especially useful if you own a rare, idiosyncratic, or misunderstood piece of gear, and you can hear people share their experiences with that item and maybe save you some time/effort/money/frustration.

13. ...says the guy with the Stingray Club number in his sig...

...I'm sorry, but I could NOT resist...:D...

14. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS

I never said I didn't want to have a larger e-penis. :D

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    So that we can exclude people. Us bassists, we're an exclusionary bunch.

Also, I want people to know that I am a vegetarian, naked bass playing buddhist.

16. This is true.

17. So, that would be the LOTS (Ladies Of the Thicker String) Club.

See how that works?

Wasn't that easy?

If a club isn't right for you, you could always start a designated thread on talkbass and just hang out there...

Z

P.S. - Pay no attention to my club listing. They are just figments of your imagination.

18. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    lulz. OR i could just look at threads that interest me. i understand that people enjoy being around like people, and i kind of get some stuff, like owning a different or rare bass/amp/cab/effect and combining some information sources. but a lot od it just seems silly to me.

but whatevah. doesn't hurt anybody, same way me thinking it's kinda silly doesn't hurt anybody. do your thing homie.

19. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    The only purpose of the sig area is to spam your band and to e-blow other popular TBers with clever siging of quoted posts.

20. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    As a point of interest/reference. IF one has to ask......it may have passed over their head.