1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what is the real price of this bass in the usa?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marianoh, Jan 5, 2019.

1. marianoh

marianoh

Aug 1, 2011
    hi guys. i tryed this bass the other day and it blew me away. much more than my 78 jazz bass (with lindy fralin) . the guy is selling it for about 5000 dolars. here, in argentina, the prices are crazy, but i was wondering how much can it cost in the usa. the guy says is much much better than a jazz bass 64 custom shop NOS. that it was designed specially for the 2000 namm. matching headstock and i don`t know what else. he is offering me to exchange it for my rickenbacker 4003 jetglo from 2016 and my fender jazz bass 78 (that doesn`t have the original mics, but some very nice lindy fralin) and it is really too heavy. the custom show is really light and incredible. any thoughts about it? thanks

Fender Jazz Bass 64 Custom Shop Pmto - $ 229.000,00

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That used custom shop Jazz would be maybe 2800-3000k here in the US.
    Trading for your two basses will be pretty close, the Ric is about 1300 and the 78 Jazz about 18-2000.

3. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Retailers would ask $3,000 for a bass like that up here. It would probably sell for $2,200-$2,500.

"the guy says is much much better than a jazz bass 64 custom shop" Well, he would say that. He's trying to make a sale. Doesn't make it true. I have a couple concerns. Is the crazing on the body done at the factory? Is there crazing on the headstock? Does this bass have the all the extras, such as the pickup covers and the tug bar? People who bought something like this would not discard that stuff.

Assuming the bass is legit - the math: Your '78 Jazz is worth $1,500 on a good day. Your Rick is worth $1,300. So by making a swap, you'd be paying $2,800US. Not too bad in a country where prices are crazy. If the CS Jazz blew you away and your '78 is too heavy, make the trade.

4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That was what I thought when I sold my '78 Jazz a couple months ago. It was all original, but for one of the pickups being rewound. I ended up getting $1,550 for it, and it took a long time to sell it.

Caca de Kick likes this.
  5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah, I do realize that. I know it would cost 300-400 to track down original pickups.

6. marianoh

marianoh

Aug 1, 2011
    thi guy says that the bass is much better than the
    new old stock. almost like a master built. because it was made specially for the namm of 2000. it says it on the neck, when you take it out. the guy is a guy i know, not some stranger from ebay. but, as i am not an expert, i wanted to know if ther is such a difference between this bass and a new old stock

7. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    There might be some language confusion here. NOS stands for "New Old Stock". New old stock is an old item that is brand new in a box. For example, if you have a tail light for a 1949 Buick that was never sold or installed, that is new old stock. Comparing this bass to new old stock doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd have to find a new, unused, unsold Fender Custom Shop Jazz bass from 2000 and make the comparison. I expect that isn't what you're talking about.

The bass you are looking at is a Fender Custom Shop item. There's no such thing as "almost" Master Built. It's either Master Built or it's not. And it's not. It having been built for NAMM is nice, but I don't know if that means much. I don't think Fender did anything special for NAMM, other than making sure they had a nice example. I'd like to see what it says on the back of the headstock.

Regardless, anything that comes out of the Fender Custom Shop is high quality. How much better is this bass than a standard 2019 Fender Jazz bass? Considerably nicer. But is it better than a 2019 Fender Custom Shop Jazz bass? Probably not.

palmann likes this.
  8. marianoh

marianoh

Aug 1, 2011
    44A318EE-C11C-46BE-A31A-E25E753D9FB1.jpeg O have this pic. I dont Know IF it says something... it has also the bridge and mic covers and all

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021