1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the recommended power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Siggy, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I just purchased an Avatar NEO410 4 olm 1200 w rms cab and currantly have a 400 w SRW amp and am concerned about headroom. It's my understanding that I can do more damage to the speakers with an underpowered amp the an overpowered one.

Is there a formula for this?

What are your experiances/suggestions.

TIA

Siggy

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I wouldn't worry about it. If it starts sounding bad, turn down.

The only problem would be if you drive the amp into clipping. And SS heads sound terrible when they are overdriven. So if you are paying attention, you will hear it.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    you won't do damage, but you will get clipping at certain volumes. you have an swr working pro? i have the same thing running into a 2 10.

4. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yep a 4004. I also have their 210 and the 115. I bought this rig to try and save my back (roadies quit years ago :) ). Thinking that two 50-60 lb trips are better then 1 100lb one. But it's still a pain. I looked into the ultra light cabs but coulden't justify the price or they didn't have the sound I was looking for. The Avatar looks like a good mix. One 65 lb trip and hopefully the sound that I want.

I bought the cabinet on everything I've read and heard about them(can we say "pig in a poke?"). Ordered it Fri and it was shipped Fri. I hope to get it in a few days. If it's not right for me I'll send it back and eat the shipping.

Siggy