1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the Roland GK3B Bass Synth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jakobro7, May 18, 2018.

1. Jakobro7

Jakobro7

Jan 27, 2018
    OK so i am really into synthesizers and i want to use my bass guitar to play one right, but not just one specific synth but all synths that have a midi port. I know i could just learn to play keyboards, but meh, i really like seeing peoples eyes going crazy wondering which instrument is playing the synthy stuff, even though there is no keyboard. So in order to do this I have heard good stuff about the Roland g synth bass series, but they are pretty expensive (but if push came to shove I would be willing to pay) and they are old so if something goes wrong i might not be able to find anybody who could fix it. But now i am hearing of this Roland GK3B Bass Synth Pickup. So now I want to know exactly what this is, how it works, if its good, and could i use it to play on any synth with midi capabilities?

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Google is your friend; Roland - GK-3B | Divided Bass Pickup

You will probably get more info from Roland's site than from a bunch of posts trying to describe it and how it interfaces with synths.

3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I've never used the Roland bass synth pickup and module but I have played with several of the guitar version. The pickup essentially hears the notes you play and translates them into midi messages (an over simplification I know). The Roland module uses those messages to produce notes from an internal sound bank. I don't know about the bass but the guitar versions had a proprietary cable to connect to the module (in other words you can't hook it directly to a keyboard or sound module). The Roland module which the pickup connects to should have midi out so you can use external sound sources. They work pretty well and the tech has improved a lot over the years. They tend not to like bends or big glissandos. The down side is the articulation of your playing can get lost or create weird artifacts in the tones. The up side is the sounds are completely electronic and you can set them like a keyboard, from synths to other instruments. It's not like trying to use an effect to emulate a keyboard sound, it's actually the keyboard sound. Check out YouTube, there have to be demos galore.

4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey

5. Jakobro7

Jakobro7

Jan 27, 2018
    Thanks for the insight dude! Now i just wonder if the bass one has a proprietary one too!

Reedt2000 likes this.