Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the scale length of the G&L 2500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Dec 7, 2004.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I couldn't find it listed, and I am never touching a 34" B again.

thanks!

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Looks like you're not getting a G&L either. try it though, I think you'll be surprised at the B on an L-2500.

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Damn it!
    :eyebrow:

Oh well.

MTD?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've found that the B strings on a 34" G&L 2500 and a 34" Stingray 5's are exceptional for 34" instruments, and every bit as good as those on MOST 35" basses.

You'd really be doing yourself a disservice if you don't check the B's on these two out for yourself.

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    It's not always as easy as just ruling out 34" (if you're trying to get a solid B-string).

There are plenty of 35" scale basses with bad B's, and some of the best B's in the business are on 34" scale basses.

By ruling out 34" scale you've eliminated most or all of the fives from: G&L, Ernie Ball, Fender, Sadowsky, Zon, Pedulla, ...

Are you after a good B-string, or was there another reason for not wanting 34" scale?

6. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I believe all MTD fives are 35" scale (535, Heir, Saratoga, Kingston, Beast), and those are all fine basses

7. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Yup 34" on those. I sold them in a store I worked at here in VA and the "B's" were excellent.

I have a Modulus (very early) Q5 that is 35" (feels like 36") and a Warrior 34". The Warrior crushes the old Q5's "B" in the tension department hands down. 34" if they are built right are just fine. Props to Pedulla as well for their amazing "B" !!

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I couldn't do the "stretch" on 35" 5 strings anymore. I played a Spector NS5 for several years, and one day decided it was too much for me.

My G&L 2500 and Ken Smith BSR5 are killer sounding B's on 34" scales.

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an MTD 535 (35"), Roscoe LG-3005 (35"), AND a Zon Sonus 5 (34"). I'd have to say the B is awesome on ALL of them, and I know the B's are great on Smiths, as well (34"). I also saw/heard Trip Wamsley play his 8 string Alembic at a NAMM show, which is only 32" scale (!!), and it sounded GREAT.

Bottom line is, while it is easier to make a 35" B work better, if it's made right by a qualified Luthier with a good design, it will be awesome.

In short, don't write off a bass sight unseen JUST because it's a 34" scale. Trust me.

10. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I was going to ask that same question concerning the 'Tribute' version of the L2500, but I'm more concerned about the string spacing at the bridge.

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The Tribute L-2500's B is just fine. String spacing is around 17mm at the bridge....very similar if not exactly like a Stingray 5.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As a person who owned a Tribute until very recently, I can say that my Tribute actually had a tighter B than several USA G&Ls that I compared it to. As I always say, if you want a great 35" B string, check out a USA Peavey Millennium Five if you can find one.
    it is a great Musicman/G&L quality level instrument that can be had for import prices as new/old stock. Check one out if you can.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've played a couple 35" scale basses that had pretty crappy B strings, and I have played 34" scale basses that have had very nice B's. It's all about the quality of the bass in hand.

I currently have a Modulus Quantum 6 (35" scale) and an F Bass BN6 (34.5" scale). It is probably due to the strings, but even though the Modulus has a great low B, the slightly shorter scale F Bass has an even better one. Again, I am sure it is due to the strings that are on the basses now, but I am anxious to see which one is better when I have them both strung with the same strings (putting Elixirs on both).

14. You bring up a very good point. Strings have a LOT do do with the quality of the B string. Scale length helps, certainly, but it is only one factor of many

15. Have no problem with the B's on mine.

16. plenty of 34" Bs are o.k. and playable. But a longer one is going to me more taught, hold tone better and just feel much better and controlled. Also, they look better in a 5. I just think most 5s look too stubby in the neck, unless they have a really small bod, like a warwick or tobias.

Even if you don't accept the physics associated with a little longer scale, you have to admit they look better in that they have cleaner, sleeker lines.

I read a good review on these 35" scale KSD korean-line basses. But jsut look how much sleeker it looks, almost like a 4.

http://www.earthshakingmusic.com/ks...itemDetail.lasso&-MaxRecords=1&-SkipRecords=1

here is a pic of my 36" next to a standard 4 string jazz. Don't care if you like them or not. Just try to see how the proportions are preserved in the 5.

17. The L2500 B string feels just like a Stingray 5 to me.... and the SR5 has one of the best Bs out there, period, 34 or 35 inch scale. The L2500's B is as good as the one on my old 35 " scale MTD Kingston 5, and much better than the one on my 35" scale DeArmond Pilot. Take that for what it's worth.

18. Last time I checked there a couple nice G & L 5s in the TB classified: a 2500 and a 1500. The 1500 has an added pup.

Both are great. You can hear sound samples on the websight.

Personally, if I was going to get one new I would get it in Clear Orange. Looks so hot with that chrome bridge.