1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the secret variable here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Visirale, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'm starting to look for a 4 string bass to play in my current band. I play 5 string oddly. I like to spout off the 2 octave reach in any position as the reason that I play 5. But I don't think that's it. I play 5 just like I would a 4. However when I play a 5 I feel like my style becomes a little more over the top. With a 4 I just keep it simple and groove. So I'm looking to get something that just oozes tone with 4 strings so I can stick to my job of holding the groove.

I like a lot of basses and I know there is something in common but I can't put my finger on it. I'm hoping you guys can help me identify it so that I can understand my own tastes better, and so I can find other instruments I might be overlooking that are right up my alley.

What do these basses have in common?

EBMM Stingray
    Gibson Thunderbird
    Ric 4003
    Fender MIA P Deluxe

I think at least a little bit of it is that they all get a little "grindy" or "growly" or whichever buzz word you like better.

Are there any other basses that fall into this niche of sound/tone? And what makes me like these basses so much?

Thanks for your time guys, always appreciated!

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Can't help much with your tone question...but think you should add the G&L Tribute L2000 to your possible bass list.

Lots of tonal options

3. IMO and IME, there is no reason that you should play a 4 any different than a 5, unless you choose to. My suggestion would be to work on your technique and save some money!

The only difference I perceive when playing a 5 versus a 4 is difficult in muting strings you aren't using (especially when slapping). If you get that figured out, there is no reason at all to approach a 5 string any differently than a 4.