Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the shelf life of unopened new bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by keyboardguy, May 17, 2005.

1. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Hi folks,

Just wondering; what is the shelf life of unused Bass strings stored in their original packaging? a year? 2 years, 5 years?

What are your experiences regarding this? Do you buy alot of them on sale and store them?

Mike

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Depends on the packaging. D'Addarios would last a lot longer.

3. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Good info on that link; thanks folks!

Any more opinions?

Mike

4. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    I would think that it depends highly on where you live and where the strings were stored. For instance here in Las Vegas NV where a a "humid" day is around 30% humidity the strings should last a very long time unopened. Now someplace like costal Florida with salty air and 70 to 80% humidity on a "dry" day would be a completely different thing. It would seem to be quite relative.

5. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Actually got a reply from Thomasilk-Infields' R&D person. He said that strings are fine for 2 years. I'm waiting for other companies to reply.

Mike

6. I have TI strings open from last millenium that I still use. They have not gone off though they have spent 5 years on a bass.